Chapter 31

Brianna

I took Allison and my parents to my foster home. When the carriage stopped, Benjamin opened the door for me, and I stepped out to the ground. I stared up at the familiar manor that I lived for over twenty years. It was strange to me how I had my life completely turned over. I went from being a normal lady to a princess.

"Is this where you lived, Brianna?" Allison snapped my thoughts.

She wrapped her arm around mine, and I glanced down at the gesture then nodded. Allison was more comprehensive than I believed. She accepted me with open arms, especially when it seemed like she was supposed to be matched with Jace.

"It is a beautiful manor," she smiled. Her lips curled up to reveal two dimples on the sides. It was a unique features of hers, but looking at her closely made me realize how similar we were compared to Eleanor and me.

"Let us meet your foster parents," my biological mother said. "I want to speak to them before we return to Montisana." She patted on my shoulder.

We went up the steps to the door. I raised my fist then proceeded to knock the door. As soon as the door swung open, my foster mother widened her eyes, instantly recognizing who it was. She went down in a low curtsy in the most mannered form.

"Queen Emilia," she greeted.

"Holly," my mother acknowledged and helped my foster mother up. "Victor and I came to see you. We reunited with Brianna earlier today at Tenebrae Castle. The locket you had given her brought us back together. We cannot appreciate it enough."

My foster mother had a relieved smile. She drew her attention over to me, her eyes turning wet. I pulled her into a tight embrace and squeezed her tight. I shut my eyes, letting the tears fell to my cheeks as I took her close to me. Memories flashed in my mind as I remembered every part of my life with my foster mother.

"Without you, I would not be here," I whispered, resting my chin on her shoulder. "I am going to miss father and you when I return to Montisana."

"Oh, sweetheart," my foster mother cooed, rubbing my back slowly. "You are always going to be welcomed here. This is your home. You are our daughter regardless."

I pulled back and smiled as she wiped the tears away from my face. All of us settled down in the living room. Evelyn poured us cups of water. I nodded at her to show my gratitude. I looked around for Eleanor but assumed she was still angry for ruining her engagement with Cyril.

"It has been a while, Holly," my mother said, grasping the hand of my foster mother. "How have you been all these years?"

My foster mother smiled, not afraid to be close to the queen consort. "Phillip and I have been doing great. We should apologize for losing contact with you. After we escaped Montisana, the war was spreading to the other places we travelled, and I could not send letters again. I should have attempted to send letters again, but many things happened over time."

"I understand, but Victor and I are extremely grateful to both of you. You and Phillip protected Brianna from all the danger and treated her so well."

"Please do not say that, Queen Emilia. When you passed Brianna over to Phillip, we promised that we would keep her safe. We treat her like our own daughter. Brianna has been always taking care of us, and I am sure she will do the same to both King Victor and you. Princess Allison is here too. It is finally a complete family.

"Phillip and you will always be part of the family," my mother acknowledged. Her attitude had been warm, and she did not display any arrogance as a queen consort. "My family will not be complete with the both of you present."