Chapter 29

Jace

King Victor was leaving tomorrow morning after he had been staying in Ofrua with Queen Emilia and Allison for a few days. I was finishing my painting for Brianna. I had most of her facial features done, and as I stared at it, it was becoming more realistic, clearly not close to her actual beauty, but it was enough.

"Jace," I heard my mother call from the door while she knocked. I quickly grabbed the velvet fabric to cover up the painting.

I set my paint supples down then exited from the back room of my chancery. "You may come in, mother." I declared, my heart racing to my fear that she would catch me doing a secret task.

My mother entered my chancery with her ladies-in-waiting behind her. They curtsied before she straightened their posture.

"It is the last day that Allison is staying here," my mother noted, and I looked away, rolling my eyes at the side once I could identify her intentions. "I think you should take her around Ofrua more. I see that you connect with her well. Maybe you will reconsider you decision on having a queen consort."

"I will do my responsibility as a host to give them a good memory of Ofrua, but it does not mean I will pursue anything more," I told her lightly.

"Jace," my mother grimaced, somewhat displeased.

I grabbed my coat from my chancery chair and wore it, stopping at the doorframe before I turned my head back at her. "I prefer someone who is more connected to me and makes me different around her." A grin grew on my lips, and I exited, stepping down into the hallway.

The maids and servants bowed down at me when I headed downstairs. I bumped into King Victor and Queen Emilia. Allison was present behind them.

"Jace," King Victor called. "I appreciate you for letting us stay for our visit. It is unfortunate how we have to leave to prepare for my new alliance with Ninke. Regardless, we are very grateful to have a great host."

"I should be the one honoured for you to be here. My mother asked me to bring the three of you out on the last day, but I assumed you have items to pack before you leave for Ninke," I stated.

He nodded. "Emilia and Allison are looking to find something they can have to eat during our travels."

Brianna instantly appeared in my mind. I was thinking of bringing them to her bakery shop, and it was the perfect timing to showcase her talent more to others.

"If I can have the honours, I would like to introduce Queen Emilia and Allison to Wishes Bakery. I hope you still remember meeting Brianna. She is the daughter of the owner and is very talented in baking. I am certain you would enjoy some pastries to take, while you continue your trip to Ninke," I suggested.

"That will be excellent, Jace," Queen Emilia agreed in eagerness. "Allison and I adore pastries, and I trust that your recommendation fit for us."

King Victor did not come as he had other matters to discuss with my father. Benjamin prepared the carriage, and I allowed the two ladies to step on first before I sat across from them. It did not take long until we arrived at Wishes Bakery. I helped them down then led them inside.

Caroline and Tatianna were both surprised to see me. They immediately curtsied, and Tatianna called Brianna. Brianna stepped out from the back room. She was wiping her hands down her apron. She still momentarily then smiled.

"Your Royal Highnesses," Brianna bowed down. "It is a pleasure to see you again."

"Likewise, Brianna," Queen Emilia said. "Please just call me Queen Emilia. You are good friends with Jace, and I do not want us to be too formal with each other."