Chapter 1

Jace

Tenebrae Castle

Ofrua, 1449

I straightened my maroon vest, tightening the gold belt around my waist. I adjusted the sleeves of my linen shirt, allowing the cuffs to open out at my wrists. One of the maids, Louise, draped my long satin coat over her arm. I slipped it and watched it stretch down almost to my knees. Some gold details patterned certain areas of the grey clothing.

Buttoning my black trousers, I tied the strings to my black boots. I stood in front of the mirror to take a final glance at my clothes before heading downstairs.

My mother and father were already waiting at the front entrance when I arrived. The palace guards acknowledged me, dropping to a low curtsy.

"There you are, Jace," my mother instantly fretted. I could see the nerves written across her face when she approached me. It was almost like we were having a big event, but it was just a simple wait for our guests to arrive. "I was afraid that you will be late."

"Mother, I think I have a very good understanding of punctuality," a small grin grew upon my lips.

I stood with my parents to the side. We heard the heavy steps of horses from a distance, and as I looked out, I saw a carriage coming to view. It came to a halt, and I nodded at the coachmen, opening the door to see the new faces.

"King Hugh, Queen Margret, a pleasure to see both of you again," my father greeted, shaking both of their hands.

King Hugh stood a couple centimetres taller than me. He wore a red tunic underneath his grey long coat. Around his waist was a brown leather belt. His clothes also consisted gold details to represent his royal status. Long black boots stretched up to cover parts of his trousers.

He had a full stubble that hid the bottom half of his face. Trimmed eyebrows arched over his green eyes. The warmness of his smile made him appear less terrifying than people described.

I reached over to shake hands with him then turned over to Queen Margret. Grasping her hand, I bent down, pressing a light kiss to the back as a mannerly gesture.

Queen Margret had her brown hair up together. She wore a necklace that held several shiny jade gemstones. It was paired with the stone on her ring. Her yellow gown flared out at her waist and down to the ground. It remained a conservative style to flatter her figure.

I pulled back and smiled over at the young lady who stood beside Queen Margret. I assumed she was Princess Iryna, the person who my mother truly wanted me to meet.

Similar to King Hugh, she carried the jaded green eyes, a colour somewhat more lively compared to what Queen Margret had on her jewelries. Her blonde hair straightened down to her lower back, loose in waves. Her prominent facial features displayed her true European ancestry.

Over her slim frame was a blue gown. Long white sleeves stopped at her wrists, and yellow trimmings decorated around her gown. It was a simplicity that carried out the nature she held. Even her accessories were less captivating to the eyes.

"This must be Princess Iryna," my mother went ahead to give Iryna an embrace. She pulled back then observed Iryna from top to bottom. "My goodness, such a beautiful young lady."

"Thank you, Queen Isla," Iryna said appreciatively.

"Iryna," I greeted, taking her hand before I left a soft kiss to the back of her hand. She slightly pulled back, almost like she was unfamiliar with the gesture.

"King Jace," she did a low curtsy. "Pleasure to meet you."

"Jace is fine. We're both in the same generation. No need for the formalities."