Chapter 12

Chapter 12

Lost in thought, Isabelle arrived at the Count's mansion, her mind still reeling from the encounter with her mother.

Seeking solace in the familiarity of Charlotte's presence, Isabelle made her way inside the mansion, her footsteps echoing in the ornate halls. She found Charlotte in the drawing room, her friend's face lighting up at the sight of her.

"Isabelle, darling! What a delightful surprise," Charlotte exclaimed, rising from her seat to embrace her friend.

Isabelle returned the embrace, grateful for the warmth of Charlotte's friendship. "I needed to see your face," she admitted, her voice tinged with vulnerability.

Charlotte's eyes softened with concern as she led Isabelle to a comfortable sofa, a silent invitation to share her troubles. Settling in beside her friend, Isabelle recounted the events of yesterday, her voice wavering with emotion as she spoke.

"You did what!" Charlotte exclaimed in her usual shocked and amused demeanor. Isabelle, who was still somber from the morning, was not amused by this.

"Well, don't be mad at me now. I wonder how you ever thought that was a bright idea," she said, unmoved by Isabelle's sulking.

"What do you mean by that? It was a very fresh—what would you call it... unique idea," Isabelle countered playfully, her sour mood lightening from being with Charlotte.

Charlotte chuckled, her eyes sparkling with amusement. "Oh, darling, you always find a way to spin things, don't you? Well, I suppose I love that spontaneous part of you."

Isabelle grinned, relieved that Charlotte understood her reasoning behind her action "Exactly! Life's too dull without a little spontaneity, don't you think?"

"And all this because of a man named James Harrington, or was the Prince not handsome enough for you?" Charlotte said, amused.

"He was handsome, but not handsome enough for me to abandon my first love," Isabelle replied plainly. "Not even as handsome as the man from the party," she muttered under her breath.

Charlotte, now occupied taking a sip of tea, didn't hear Isabelle. "Are you being honest, Isabelle? I know you like James Harrington, but enough to throw away a good prospect for a man who doesn't return your feelings?" Charlotte finally said, concern etched on her features.

Charlotte's words pricked deeper than Isabelle cared to admit, prompting a heavy sigh to escape her lips. "He might just fall for me this season. I can make it happen," Isabelle declared with determination.

"Well then, I'll root for your romantic endeavors this season. I could certainly use some excitement," Charlotte remarked, a mischievous glint in her eye.

"Speaking of romance, who are your potential suitors this season, Charlotte?" Isabelle inquired, hoping to shift the conversation topic away from her.

"Oh, I'm glad you asked! The list has been updated this season. Wait till my mama hears about the Prince's arrival in Eldoria. I'm sure the list will be revised once again," Charlotte exclaimed, brimming with excitement.

"You could easily fool someone with that fake excitement of yours," Isabelle remarked, seeing through Charlotte's façade as she always did.

"What do you mean by that?" Charlotte replied, feigning hurt. "This year: two dukes, a count, three from noble families, and finally, a prince. My dance card will be full this season," she continued with her forced enthusiasm.

"It's okay, Charlotte. You can be honest with me," Isabelle reassured, her voice soft with understanding.

"To be honest, Bella, I've grown weary of all this. I find the men dull and predictable," Charlotte confessed, her tone shifting to one of melancholy.