Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Theodore Hartington guided his horse through the grand gates of the Eldridge estate, the wrought iron towering above him like silent sentinels of time. The gravel path crunched beneath the horse's hooves as he made his way toward the sprawling mansion.

As he dismounted and handed the reins to the waiting stable boy, Theodore couldn't help but notice how the ivy-clad walls of the estate looked weathered. Time had really gone by since he had last seen this same wall.

With a heavy heart, Theodore stepped over the threshold, greeted by the familiar sight of Tom standing at the entrance. Tom, his right-hand man and confidant since childhood, exuded an air of concern as he addressed Theodore.

"Theodore, how was the run? Did it clear your mind?" Tom's voice was laced with genuine worry; he knew Theodore had a hard time adjusting since their arrival at Eldridge Estate.

"It helped a little, but my ears still hurt from last night's awful performance," Theodore confessed. He had visited opera houses, house parties, and even taverns looking for a talented pianist.

He had been unable to rest for a long time out of worry and anxiety since he left their manor in the countryside and his dear sister Evangeline.

"Any invitations for tonight? I might have to cancel. I don't think I can handle any more socialization today." He walked into the mansion, Tom trailing behind.

"The Marquis and Marchioness invite you to Lord Adrian Montrose's engagement to Lady Amelia Stanton."

"Adrian, my friend from the Eldorian Academy," Theodore mused, a smile playing on his lips. "I suppose I can't decline such an invitation."

"But this is the last for the rest of the month, Tom."

"Understood, your grace."

"How does it feel to be back, Tom?"

"Why? Missing the country air already, your grace?" Tom chuckled and Theodore joined in, the sound of their laughter filing the large hall.

"We won't be here for long anyways, although I believe you should use this opportunity to take a break." Tom said he knew the amount of work Theodore had done to keep the dukedom, especially after the sudden deaths of the Duke and Duchess.

"I'll go rest—" Theodore stopped abruptly when he noticed the grand piano, a gilded masterpiece, that stood proudly in the center of the drawing room—the same instrument that produced the countless melodies that once filled the Eldridge estate with life.

"Do you wish to move the piano elsewhere, your grace" Tom inquired, sensing Theodore's inner conflict.

"No," Theodore replied, his gaze lingering on the instrument. "Leave it be."

Theodore walked around the unfamiliar but familiar house, he passed through the grand foyer when he noticed the large portrait of his late father and mother, then his older sister Evangeline, and finally his younger self. He looked happier; he could not remember the last time he could say he was happy.

He had to find the pianist; he was searching for a particular sound. He knew it was a gamble to leave Evangeline and come all the way to the capital for a mission he wasn't sure he could accomplish.

He had given himself a time frame of six months; if he couldn't find the pianist who could play the particular music sheet and teach it to him, he would be defeated and have to go home empty-handed. He had been in Eldoria for almost a month, and he had not accomplished much.

His eardrums were dying, but he knew he could endure it to accomplish his goal. He had met talented pianists at the top of their field who had performed for royalty; he had met piano prodigies; and he had even met the common people who played to make themselves happy, but he still hadn't heard the sound he was looking for.

He sighed deeply; all he had was the music sheet in his hand. One that had been in his household for generations, one that had filled this particular estate until seven years ago. He laid on his bed; there was not enough time until he had to get ready to attend the Montrose family party.

He really didn't remember much of their family; he only knew of Adrian, his old friend from the academy, he also knew how influential the Marchioness was; his late mother had talked about her before.

He remembered Adrian talking to him about his sister; he always talked about his sister. Everyone knew that Adrian Montrose loved to talk about his sister, not that he paid much attention.

He wasn't interested in women, especially when he was shackled with responsibilities, taking care of the dukedom and his sister. Love and marriage were a luxury he did not deserve or afford, especially at this time of his life.

He still remembered how much his father loved his mother and how excited he was to see her after a long day away from work. It was bittersweet, though; he wondered how different his life would have been if his parents were still alive. He closed his eyes and drifted off to much-needed sleep.