𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟕: 𝐮𝐧𝐞𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐜𝐭𝐞𝐝 𝐫𝐞𝐮𝐧𝐢𝐨𝐧𝐬

Xavier's POV:

The days following Rose's discharge from the hospital were a delicate balance of relief and vigilance.

She was home, but her fragile condition meant constant care and attention.

We made sure she got plenty of rest, keeping her environment calm and soothing.

One sunny morning, I woke up to the sound of Rose's laughter mingling with Florence's soft voice.

The sight of them cuddled on the couch, watching one of Rose's favorite animated movies, filled my heart with a profound sense of gratitude.

We had weathered the storm, and now, it was time to heal.

"Good morning, my beautiful girls," I said, joining them on the couch.

Rose's eyes lit up as she reached for me, her tiny arms wrapping around my neck.

"Morning, Daddy!" she chirped, her voice still a bit weak but full of spirit.

Florence smiled at me, her eyes reflecting the same relief and joy that I felt. "Morning, Xavier. How did you sleep?"

"I slept well, thanks to you both," I replied, kissing Rose's forehead and then giving Florence a gentle kiss on the lips.

The morning passed in a peaceful routine.

We had breakfast together, with Rose's favorite pancakes taking center stage.

She giggled as I made funny faces with the whipped cream, and Florence's laughter was like music to my ears.

After breakfast, Rose and Florence settled back on the couch for another movie.

I watched them, my heart swelling with love and gratitude.

But I also knew that the house needed some attention.

It had been neglected during our hospital stay, and I wanted to make our home as comfortable as possible for Rose's recovery.

"I'll do some cleaning while you two relax," I said, kissing both of them on the cheek. "Call me if you need anything."

"Thank you, Xavier," Florence said, her eyes warm with appreciation. "We'll be right here."

As I cleaned the house, my thoughts drifted to the past few weeks.

The fear and uncertainty we had faced were still fresh in my mind, but so was the overwhelming support and love we had received from each other.

Florence had been my rock, and Rose's strength had been nothing short of miraculous.

By midday, the house was spotless, and I was feeling more at ease.

I checked on Florence and Rose and found them both fast asleep on the couch, Rose nestled in Florence's arms.

The sight was so tender that it brought tears to my eyes. I covered them with a soft blanket and quietly went back to tidying up.

As evening approached, the house was filled with a sense of calm and serenity.

I was in the kitchen, preparing dinner, when there was a sudden knock on the door.

Frowning, I glanced at the clock.

We weren't expecting anyone.

Wiping my hands on a towel, I walked to the door and opened it.

My heart stopped when I saw who was standing there.

"Xavier," my father said, his voice a mix of surprise and something that might have been regret.

Beside him stood my mother, her eyes filled with a mixture of hope and trepidation.