제 27 장: More Treble

"She's almost here, I think," Young Min announced in a low whisper. After being chased by the magistrate and his men, he and Won Soo had taken refuge in some farmer's stables on the other side of town. The place smelled strongly of old hay and the other horses seemed a bit irked by the addition to their company, but at least no one was trying to arrest them—yet.

Won Soo jumped at the proclamation. "She?  Which she? The he-she or the..." he lowered his voice, "beast-she?"

"The latter," Young Min replied, much to his servant's chagrin. "And don't call her that."

Won Soo grimaced. "But how can you be sure?"

"I think it's become quite apparent by now, no matter how much I wish there was a logical explanation for it," Young Min admitted. "This affliction...it strangely pains me less when she is near. I think the nine-tailed fox and Kim Nara—they might be right about it being a curse."

The servant shuddered and turned back to brushing his horse. "Well, then, I hope if she is near, this whole ordeal will be over with soon and we'll never have to see her again." Won Soo suddenly lowered his tone, as if afraid that the gumiho would overhear their conversation. "It's about time she comes to see us, don't you think? She did say she would meet you when you returned home, didn't she? Do you think she knows that we were chased out?"

"I'm sure she'll figure it out," Young Min said calmly, not wanting to show the apprehension he felt and add fuel to his servant's worries.

"Why were we chased, anyway?"

"I don't know, Won Soo." Young Min tried to appear unconcerned about the matter, but he had been wondering the exact same thing for some time now. Surely the lie about his visit to a gibang wouldn't have escalated so much during his absence as to warrant his arrest?

A minute passed in silence. Then two. The leaves on the trees outside rustled in a light breeze, their emerald hues just beginning to freckle with spots of ruby and amber. The peaceful atmosphere belied the many worries tumbling through Young Min's mind.

"So, how far away is she?" Won Soo finally said, anxiety giving way to impatience.

Young Min sighed. "My pain isn't a compass, Won Soo," he said. "I can only tell you that it feels lessened."

"But is it a big difference or a small difference?" Won Soo pressed. "Maybe just a small pain means she's only a few minutes away..."

"I don't know what it means, Won Soo. I can only guess."

Silence reigned once more. Young Min's eyelids began to grow heavy, and he struggled to keep them open. Meanwhile, Won Soo continued to glance over his shoulder, as if expecting the fox spirit to appear behind him at any moment.

And suddenly, she did.

Unforgettable eyes, with all the color and intensity of two dying suns, narrowed in annoyance upon Won Soo's startled yelp. Young Min jumped to his feet, immediately awake upon seeing the gumiho's willowy outline in the doorway of the stables.

"Follow me," she whispered, and then vanished as swiftly as she had arrived.

The young nobleman snatched up his sword and sprinted to the doorway, only pausing to look back at his servant. Won Soo was staring vacantly at the spot where the spirit had been, still recovering from the sudden shock of her arrival, and didn't seem likely to be running after her anytime soon.

"Stay here and watch the horses, then," Young Min offered as an alternative. "You've done enough—you don't have to help me this time." Without waiting to hear a reply, he turned and ran, ignoring the dull ache that persisted in his feet.