Chapter twenty: A new beginning

Back in the classroom with her friends, Luz gathered all her things and threw them inside her backpack. In a mournful voice, she greeted all her classmates and Mr. Johnson. Her eyes were directed to Ferg and Riley; she wanted to smile; in fact, she wanted to stay in class until the end of the day. She brought her hand a little lower from his head, then withdrew it. She waited for them to return the greeting and left.

The teacher resumed his explanation with his usual slowness and annoyance, a sign that the day's topic was heavy and unremarkable.

"How did it go?" asked Ferg to Riley.

"You, me, Theo and Luz are suspended for a week," she quickly spat out. "Also, we have to write a letter to the principal that we have to read to him when we return."

"Wha—"

Riley resumed speaking. "Theo and I didn't do anything, even the A-3 kids didn't do anything while you and Katrine... basically, he and I are being punished because we didn't go and call a teacher and they didn't. We objected and so we insulted him. Luz also joined in and asked that our punishment be extended to you and he agreed."

Ferg remained impassive for a moment. "Thank you Luz. When does the suspension start?"

"I think next week," Riley hesitated. "A week at home never happened to me you know?"

Ferg chuckled. "To me to write a letter for the principal."

"What would you write?" she asked him smilingly. "I would write to him: _Mr. Principal, I can mirror myself on your head_."

"I'm not very imaginative with insults," he told her amused. "Bald butt is my best."

Riley burst out laughing. "That's funny!"

Mr. Johnson turned in their direction. The two deskmates pretended to be attentive, Ferg held the pen with his left hand against the paper, and Riley covered her mouth with one hand and held the red pen with the other. He assumed a puzzled expression. He asked that side of the class, "Which one of you was laughing?"

No response.

At that point, Riley raised her hand. "Me, Mr. Johnson."

"We are not in a cafeteria, Ms. Bishop. I suggest you take the class." The man reprimanded her.

Ferg joined in. "I was laughing, too."

"That goes for you too, Mr. Glenn," the teacher concluded irritably and went back to explaining.

"What?!" exclaimed Riley embarrassedly. "No, no way!"

Sally walked over to one of the open doors of the girls' bathroom. "There's enough room for both of us, and no one will listen to us. You have my word."

Riley scratched her eyes furiously, she was running like hell and her wet panties were a constant reminder that she did not have a pull-up on. If she had known what had happened today, she would have pretended to be sick and stayed home. At least her panties would be dry and Luz would not have that black bruise on her face. She stood firm on her position, "Sally, no."

Her friend moved away from the door with unsure steps. "Y-you're right, it's an intimate moment and you need privacy. Sorry."

"It's okay," she comforted her.

Riley approached the bathroom, turned to her friend before she pushed her inside, nearly falling head first into the toilet. In turn, Sally went inside and closed the door by turning the mechanism.

She turned sharply, plugged her mouth with one hand, and said under her breath, "Katrine and the others are here! We mustn't make any noise!" she was in terror.