Chapter 9

Maggie's heart stopped. What could Dick possibly want to talk about? She was aware he wasn't completely thrilled with his new roommate, but he had picked her up from the airport, given her a bed instead of the couch and even cooked her dinner.

The anxiety creeped throughout Maggie's body, haunting her about what the topic during dinner might be. Up through the hall and turn right is where she found herself. Stood at the end of the small dining table, as Richard invites him to sit.

"Look Maggie, I'm not sure if Bruce told you, but him and I aren't exactly on speaking terms. I left that place on my own accord, and I recommend you get out as soon as possible too-"

Maggie cut him off.

"What do you mean? Bruce has helped me..." Her voice trailed off, losing any words she was going to say.

"It's perfectly ok to want help with your powers, but Bruce will turn you into a weapon. Like he did me. I was just a number to him-"

"With all due respect Dick," She interrupted abruptly, "He shipped me off after I was kidnapped by Harley and Joker. I really don't believe he wants to use me as a weapon."

Dick only nodded, taking her memory into account.

"Look Mag, as much as I agree, I just want you to tread carefully, especially after that time I had to rescue you from Doctor Light in San Francisco. What a mess that was," Dick cringed, seemingly wanting to change the subject. Maggie gasped.

It hit her. She knew where she had seen Dick's familiar eyes before. Robin and the Titans had saved her from Doctor Light. She had been caught up in a feud between the two parties many years ago, but was too nervous to use her magic.

"T-that was y-you? With the Titans?," Dick gulped loudly. Obviously Bruce hadn't told her as much as he thought he did.

"Yeah, that was me, I thought you would've recognised me at least a little bit." The boy bowed his head in embarrassment, not realising how little she knew. "I've hung up the suit now. I'm more suited to the legal part of crime fighting."

Maggie nodded. She was unsure about how she felt about Dick, but she knew for sure she needed to be able to tolerate him. The teenager felt as though he would play a large part in her life...

---

Sat in Maggie's new room, she went to organise the rest of her belongings, but couldn't help but notice a bright orange outfit at the bottom of a box.

Her suit.

Perched on top was a carefully written note.

Dear Mag,

I couldn't let you leave without this lol.

Kick ass!

J

Maggie smiled at the note, she hadn't expected to have Jason sneak it into her boxes, but then again the Boy of Wonder certainly had his sneaky ways of doing things. Most of all, Maggie wondered, who writes lol on a note?

Although Jason and Maggie had a rough start, she certainly grew a soft spot for the boy. Not that she would ever let him know, but he made an impact on her, shone a light she hadn't seen before.

Carefully, Maggie hung the suit alongside her dresses in the wardrobe, before neatly stacking all of her books on a chest of drawers. Grabbing 'The Outsiders' by S.E. Hinton, she laid in bed, waiting to either fall asleep, or receive a message from Jason.

After a few chapters, Maggie heard a ding. Immediately, she grabbed her phone in excitement, hoping to see a certain Gotham boy on the other end.

It was not. It was a notification, reminding her to unpack.