Chapter Twenty

I laid comfortably in Rafe's bed. His duvet wrapped around us and his head nestled into the crook of my neck. Rafe's arms were wrapped around me and I felt safe. Although, no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't fall asleep. I had alternated looking between Rafe, the ceiling, and the alarm clock. It felt as if every time I glanced at the clock, another sleepless hour had gone by.

Ceiling. Rafe. Clock.

Footsteps.

The clock read 3:47 am when the sound of heavy footsteps rang throughout the silent house and I froze, my body turning stiff and still. The heavy footsteps continued closer and closer to Rafe's room, every second growing louder. I closed my eyes and pretended to be asleep. I heard Rafe's bedroom door creak open slowly and I felt myself gripping onto Rafe a little harder.

What if it was someone here to take him away?

The footsteps came to a stop beside Rafe's bed and I could feel him twitch, he was awake. The person stood, breathing heavily and I held my breath praying that Rafe could protect us.

"Rafe," a whisper was finally let out and before his full name was even spoken, he was rolling over to see who was standing over us. "What? What is it?" Rafe asked groggily. It was only Ward. I could feel my breathing slowly return back to normal, as I kept my eyes shut and listened.

"I need your help."

I felt Rafe squeeze my hand softly and in only a moment, Rafe had slipped his arms from their grasp around me. I listened now to two pairs of footsteps walking out of the room and back down the stairs.

I felt relieved knowing that Rafe was with his father. My perspective of Ward had changed dramatically over the course of the summer. I no longer saw him as the perfect honorable man that I once did. Despite that, I knew he would go to unspeakable lengths to protect his family and that included Rafe. Knowing that put my mind at ease and I could feel my nerves dissipate, as I pulled the duvet up and tighter around myself.

————

I shot up at the loud sound of an engine, whirring just outside the window. The sun was shining through Rafe's curtains and I stood up quickly when I realized exactly what was making that sound. I ran to the window and peered out, down to the front of Tannyhill. The engine revved before the bike took off and I watched Rafe ride away.

Could he stop fucking running off.

I pulled one of Rafe's sweatshirts over my head, letting it hang down past my shorts. I quickly got myself looking semi-presentable, before grabbing my phone from the nightstand and running out of room. I quickly ran down the stairs and snuck out the front door quietly, as everyone was still asleep being that it was barely 7 am.

I jumped and placed a hand over my mouth muffling my scream. I thought I almost had a heart attack, running straight into Ward. I wasn't expecting anyone to be out here. I remembered Ward coming into Rafe's room last night. Did Rafe never come back up after that?

"Sorry, you scared me," I laughed out, moving my hand from my mouth to my chest, feeling my beating heart.

"Oh hi honey! I wanted to tell you I talked to your dad last night."

"My dad?"

"I just know they worry about you, so I wanted to tell them that whenever you're here you're safe and under our watch." A shiver ran up my spin and I could feel goosebumps forming on my arms.