Chapter Fourteen

I woke up to sunlight filtering through Rafe's window and a pair of strong arms wrapped around me. For a brief moment, I laid in Rafe's arms relaxed, only feeling bliss. I looked up to the ceiling and all of the sudden memories of yesterday flooded my mind. 

I slipped myself from Rafe's grip and walked into his bathroom. I quietly shut the door behind me and held myself up by gripping the edge of the cool countertop. I looked up and stared at my reflection in the mirror. My eyes were puffy and swollen from crying last night and I'm sure Rafe's looked similarly. A wave of dizziness rushed through me, I gripped the countertop harder to keep myself steady. I ran a hand through my hair before turning on the sink and splashing cool water onto my face. I took a breath as I looked at myself again. 

Get yourself together Georgia.

When I walked out of the bathroom, Rafe quickly rolled over and looked at me. "Hey," he said quietly, his voice raspy and low. "You okay?" He asked as I climbed back into his bed. 

"Yeah," I nodded shortly before nuzzling myself back into his arms. He pulled me tightly to him and I felt a sense of comfort as his skin touched mine. 

Rafe's gaze jolted towards his door, a knocking sound filling his room. 

"Rafe, are you awake?" 

It was Wheezie. 

Rafe stood up from his bed and pulled on a pair of shorts and a t-shirt, "Yeah, one second." 

He pulled open his door and little Wheezie stood on the other side. "Do you know what's going on? Why is Sarah locked in her room?" 

I lifted my head from the pillow and sat up on my elbows. 

Wheezie's gaze shifted to me, "Oh, hi Georgia," she said, seeming surprised to me. 

"Hi Wheeze," I gave her a smile. 

Rafe shook his head, "Did you ask dad?" 

"All he said was there was an accident... and Sarah's upset and needs to calm down. And then he told me to go to my room." 

"You should probably listen to him." 

"Why does no one ever tell me anything," she let out a sigh and crossed her arms over her chest. "Georgia?" She looked at me with pleading eyes, making a puppy dog face, begging me to tell her something. 

"There was an accident and Sarah's upset," she wouldn't be happy with my response, it being the same as Ward's. "That's it Wheeze, I'm sorry to disappoint." She turned back to Rafe and gave him the same look she had just given me, "Please." 

Rafe sighed and grabbed Wheezie's wrist before walking out to the hall with her, he turned and gave me a look, "I'm gonna talk to her." I nodded before Rafe shut his bedroom door, leaving me alone in his room. 

Alone with my thoughts. 

I got up and rummaged through my backpack, trying to find a fresh pair of clothes to wear. I slipped on my clean shorts and pulled on a tank top. I went back into the bathroom and ran my fingers through my hair before tying it back into a loose bun. I grabbed my toothbrush from the counter and I looked at it as it shook in my hands. 

God I am freaking out. 

I felt like I was in a dream—or a nightmare—but I couldn't wake up no matter how hard I tried. 

I quickly brushed my teeth and splashed more water onto my face. 

Calm down Georgia, it's fine. 

I couldn't be by myself. 

I patted my face dry and headed out of Rafe's room into the cool hallway. The smell of fresh bacon filled my nose and I quickened my pace down the stairs.