14

Baby comes out of the kitchen an hour later, oblivious to the chaos that had just occurred. It is not unusual for a bar fight to occur and the twins have been at each other's throats before. It's how they deal with conflict, it's how they communicate. It's what they know. So no one had paid them much attention and since then there have been two more altercations between other bargoers. It's the way life is. But, Baby is oblivious to it and Austin would prefer to keep it that way. Partially because she does not respond well to any form of violence with her soft nature and because he knows Baby would be disappointed in his reaction toward his sister tonight. He hates the thought of Baby feeling that type of way toward him.

"Oh...where are Mitch and Sadie? I made them dinner too," Baby says placing three plates of food down in front of him while Tom places another three down in front of Harry. "They had to work, darlin', they are sorry they had to go," Austin says. "That's OK, I will feed them next time. Eat. It's three different dishes," she says sliding in next to Austin and plastering herself against him. Once he is finished and has been sure to compliment her meal - she is a pretty good cook, he gets her up and takes her to the forest behind his house. Harry tags along.

~

"Oh...but..." she says looking at the bundled cloth in his hands. "I have never...I don't think I should. It's very violent," she says. "It's the person behind the barrel that's violent, Baby. You need to learn how to use it," he says. "But, why? You will keep me safe. You have a gun," she squeaks.

"You need to be able to defend yourself just long enough for me to get to you."

"Do I have to kill anyone? I can't do that."

"No. Just slow them down. I will do the rest, darlin'."

"I don't want to hurt anyone. Talking won more wars than killing."

"Some people don't talk. They kill. Trust me...please."

She lets out a heavy sigh then takes a corner of the material in his hand and peels it back, revealing the firearm. "Oh... it's very pretty. Are those diamonds on the handle? It will match my pink dress, you know the one with ruffles-"

"Baby, please concentrate. This is not a toy or a fashion accessory."

"Well, she is not wrong. It is very pretty, I got my friend to doll it up specifically for her," Harry says. Austin looks over his shoulder and glares at him. "I will shut up now," Harry says. "Pick it up, keep your finger off the trigger," Austin says.

"Have never held a gun. Never even touched one..."

"Never been fucked by someone like me either. How is that working out for you?"

Baby gasps and then giggles, her face turning red as her eyes flick to Harry. "I heard nothing," Harry says. "Pick it up, Baby," Austin repeats. Baby sighs again but curls her fingers around the handle gingerly then picks it up. "Oh. It's heavy but lighter than I expected," she says. "It's a Glock. Lightweight, easy to use, small, shoots straight. It's reliable. Barrel, handle, trigger, safety, sights," he points out various parts and then takes it from her. "Your rounds are kept here," he says releasing the magazine from the handle and then snapping back in place. "There are fifteen rounds, you can shoot fifteen times before you are out. The hammer is hidden and you will always be one up. Make sure your safety is always on until you intend on shooting."

"I don't know what that means. Hammer, one up?"

"Do you understand what 'make sure your safety is always on until you intend on shooting' means?"

"Yes."

"Then that's all that matters right now. This is your safety. If you see the red dot, you are not on safety," he says flicking the safety off and on. "Don't ever point it at anyone you do not intend on shooting."