7

Austin is just about to walk into the grocery store and drag Baby out as he has had enough of waiting around. He has finished all the cookies and had at least four cigarettes in the last ten minutes - too much even for him. But, as he stands Baby comes skipping out of the store with a large bag in each hand and a huge grin on her face. She is just a happy person. "Hi! Everyone was so nice in there. They were ready to help whenever I turned around. I had to cut a lot of stuff off the list to make sure I didn't have too many bags. But, I got it down to two bags in the end. I think it was a successful grocery shop for my first time!" she chats as Austin takes the bags from her and ties them to the bike. "First time?" he asks handing her the helmet.

"Well, yeah. We had people who did that for us. Personal assistants and stuff."

"You planning on cooking the things you bought? First time for that too?"

"Yes! I am excited. I am going to become independent. Self seffient. My father can cut me off, I don't care - I don't need his money," she says clampering up onto the bike while Austin holds it steady. He does not think Baby truly understands what she is saying. She has never had to look at a price tag or worry about a bill before. It's one thing to celebrate independence but it's a fucking battle to keep your head above water. "Have you ever had a job?" he asks.

"Yes, of course I have. I am nearly thirty!"

"A job that your father has not arranged for you and set up the salary baseline?"

"No..." she says softly, slightly deflated then squares her shoulders, "It does not matter anyway. I always intended to be a housewife. My job would be to run my home one day. It's a big job and very important."

"A home that has a housekeeper, a butler, and personal assistants. Sounds like you will be overwhelmed with work," Austin says slinging his leg over the bike and starting it. Baby stays quiet, wrapping her arms around him and resting her head on his back. Her soft approach to his biting words makes him feel like a dick. Maybe he should not have said that, the woman is merely trying to find a silver lining to the dark black cloud over her head. He starts his bike and then slips his fingers through hers as they rest on his chest. He does not know how Baby manages to get under his skin the way she does, but she does and there seems to be very little he can do about it.

Duke is leaning on his bike and talking into his phone as Austin pulls up his driveway. "Go inside," he says to Baby who had remained very quiet and still on their trip home. He unhooks the bags and hands them to her, she gives him a watery smile then turns and walks up the stairs and into the house. Damit, he has made her cry with his callous words yet again. He will fuck her as soon as he is done with Duke, she likes that. It will be his apology to her.

"You found out what's wrong with it?" Austin asks Duke, lighting a cigarette. "Nothing is wrong with it," Duke says.

"It broke down, something is wrong with it."

"Uh, you checked it?"

"No. I haven't bothered. That's where you come in."

"Nothing is wrong with it. It just ran out of gas."

Austin raises a brow at him then frowns. "Bullshit," he says knowing it's probably true given Baby is who Baby is. "Didn't think you would believe me, that's why I didn't put gas in it. Have a look," Duke says holding out the keys. Austin snatches them from him, pushing the seat all the way back and climbing behind the wheel. He turns the key and watches the dashboard lights flick on and then off except for one. One very bright orange light that is shaped like a gas pump. The gas indicator also stays very firmly on zero. Fucking hell, there is no fucking hope for this woman. "I got a tank of gas, it's there by the left tire," Duke says. Austin sighs and hangs his head, he should have known. The front door to the house opens suddenly and they both men watch as Baby walks out holding a glass of lemonade in each hand.