Chapter Three- The Narrator

After establishing the setting for their story, an author needs a way to provide his readers with necessary information when his characters are not actively speaking. This voice of the author is known as the narrator. The job of the narrator is simple. A narrator does not communicate their own thoughts and feelings. Rather, it is the narrator's task to convey the author's thoughts and feelings expressed through the written word. Therefore, our narrator could properly be called the word of the author. Likewise, the ink on the page (in the case of a physical book), serves as the force or vehicle by which the story comes into being. In the case of a live storyteller, one person could fill all three roles as they breathe the words from their own lips. However, in a book this unity may be seen as separate and distinct. Ultimately, there is one author though.

In our story the author, and the narrator are distinct persons, and the vehicle that transmits the words is not a person, but is actually indistinguishable from the author. The narrator is also a product of the ink on the page. In the case of both the narrator, and the written word, the author is the source. We cannot see the author. None of the characters in our story can see the author either. It is the narrator that has revealed the words of the author to both the characters and the readers.

So, is the narrator the author? That is a philosophical question. Yes, metaphorically, but not literally. If the narrator were to act or speak independently of the author, the narrator would cease to be the narrator and would become one of the characters. However, as we postulated in the introduction, that is impossible in a book, because even the characters are subject to the will of the author.

Our story is different though, because our story takes place outside the confines of a book. However, our narrator has chosen to abide by the standards of narration. Our narrator has been with the author every step of the way. This particular narrator shared in the creative process with the author. In fact, this narrator came to have deep affection for the characters in this story. More than that, when this story took a turn for the worst, this narrator took an active interest in personally seeing that the issues would be resolved.

The narrator believes in the author's wisdom to correct the situation. The author in turn loves all the characters in the story, even the ones who have taken a turn for the worst. The author cannot personally help his characters, but he can help the narrator accomplish his purpose to redeem the characters who have gone a stray. There I go, getting ahead of the story again!

Unlike a story in a book, the characters in this story have been given the marvelous ability to choose for themselves. However, every choice comes with consequences. The ability to choose is empowering. With such power comes accountability. We must come to recognize the consequences of our actions, and take responsibility for the outcome of our choices.

With that in mind, the characters in our story must be given an opportunity to learn what responsibility means. They do not have to seek this course, but they must nonetheless be given the opportunity. Should anyone raise a question regarding the benevolence of such an awesome gift as the ability to choose, there must be a way of restoring balance should any of the characters of the story choose to pursue a knowledge of what is good and bad.

Finally, before introducing our characters, the author and the narrator made other persons like themselves. Some as observers who watch, others as messengers who go between the linear and non-linear realms when needed. One in particular will be entrusted with observing the characters of our story. This particular observer will be tasked with an enormous responsibility. Observe, but do not interfere. Like the characters we are about to introduce our observer has been entrusted with the ability to choose.

So there we are. We have established our author, our setting, and our narrator. Next we must prepare things for our characters. It's time to set the scene. All of our observers are in place. Are you ready dear reader? Our story is about to begin. Take a seat, if you haven't already done so. We are about to embark on a journey into the story behind every story. It's time for time as we know it to begin.