Chapter One- The Benefits of Hindsight

It has been said: 'Hindsight is 20/20', implying that memories are clear and precise. Unfortunately, hindsight reveals that humans have a poor track record when it comes to recalling the past accurately, even within one's own lifetime. The details tend to be a bit murky, especially when compared with others who observed the same events from a different vantage point. The discrepancies that result in the details given from the various perspectives are based on the perception of each observer. This then appears to the reader of the different accounts of the same event to be contradictory.

You may have noticed this effect if you have ever heard, or read multiple news articles that give different details of the same event. There are a number of reasons why this occurs. The timing of the writing could be a factor since certain details may not become available until later on. This for instance would cause a discrepancy in how many were injured in a tragic event. One article might say a lower number than another because it was written earlier in the day. Based on the available details, at the time it was written the details were true. However, that truth was subjective. As new details arise, an article written later in the day may reveal new or even seemingly contradictory information to the earlier article.

How would you handle the situation as the reader? Would you discard the earlier information as outdated? Perhaps. However, what if you were gathering historical information for a report in school, or an encyclopedia? You might still view the earlier account as useful because it contains certain information that a later account omitted. Both articles are useful, even though one may be more detailed or accurate than another. Why? Simply put, because when seen side by side each provides points that contribute to a more rounded view of the event.

Now, consider an article written about the same person, place, or event by four different people at the same time.  All four individuals in our example hold different life experiences that contribute to their perception of the person, place, or event being considered. Each writer might add their own flavor to the research topic. Would their, different descriptions be an obstacle to a proper assessment, or would they actually help you to gain a better perspective?

These four different perceptions add dimension to the story. In today's politically divided landscape the effect might be quite polarizing. Would you see one of the writers as offering truth, and the other three as merely fake news? This is a common outcome nowadays.

This way of reasoning can actually create a number of issues for anyone seeking the facts, because there is another factor that you as the reader might be overlooking. As the reader, you, like all four of these writers, come with your own preconceived notions of the person, place or event under consideration. Without you even realizing it, you are in a position to provide a fifth account of the person, place, or event in question. If you choose to listen to only one of the accounts because you identify with and trust the writer, then you will, without even realizing it add your own spin to the story from your own preconceived notions. However, your perception will still be based on your opinion, and the opinion of the writer with whom you identify. Unfortunately, you will still not be gaining any real perspective.

Now, please hear me out. This is how we unwittingly prejudice ourselves to the views and beliefs of others. We decide that one view is true (usually your view), and therefore, all other views are false. This black and white approach has caused immense harm throughout history. One faction of belief is then pitted against another. Disagreements lead to arguments. In turn arguments lead to fights. Eventually fights lead to people taking sides. These factions then start wars, leading to untold suffering. Why untold? It is untold, because the winners write down the details as they see fit. Therefore, hindsight is most certainly not 20/20! However, there are benefits to hindsight if we can use this revelation as a learning moment.

If we allow other perceptions into the conversation, perhaps we can gain true perspective. Instead of assuming that the perceived differences are mere lies, why not ask yourself: Why are the details different? Even more important; what in their particular retelling is held in common with the other views. Finding the common thread can be a roadmap to piecing together what actually occurred .

Let's back up for a moment, and address the first question. Why are there different stories at all? It seems to be a human tendency to believe the worst about others. Therefore, when someone tells us something that we don't want to accept to be true, we tend to assume they are lying, or hiding something. What are they up to? What is their motive? It must be sinister!

Once you realize this tendency in yourself, you gain additional perspective. That piece of the puzzle can help you to resist the tendency to assume the worst about people. Assuming the best or worst about another person is intrinsically flawed, because when we assume we are only guessing. It is merely an opinion.

Rather than assuming, try giving others the benefit of the doubt. Respect them enough to believe that they believe what they are telling you to be true from their perception. Don't insist that they are wrong, and you are right. They are not wrong. They may just have an incomplete picture of the event or person in question.

Likewise , don't insist that you have the complete picture either. Perhaps together you both can get one step closer to discovering the truth. Then, what if both of you could explore what other observers recall? Just imagine the perspective we could all gain.

Looking back, we may collectively get it entirely wrong, but we need to allow for this process, or we may never reach a point where we can uncover the real story. So,what is the real story, and when are we going to begin discussing the title of this book? It is, after all, a very specific topic that is addressed to at least three of the major world religions. Countless factions have arisen from the debate over this topic. It is literally one of the greatest controversies of all time, but it is not the whole story. It does, however, point us in the right direction. So, what is this story that I keep alluding to! Turn the page if you are curious, but please try to avoid jumping to any conclusions just yet. First we must establish the setting for our story.