chapter 26

After discussing everything he wanted the Yu brothers finally left and Jing Sheng went back to tending to the children and house.

Seeing that they are all out of food he decided to go shopping, “Ah'jin I'm gonna shop for a bit can you take care of your little brother? In case I'm not back in time the senior brothers will deliver some wood okay? And remember to respect them.”

Chen Jinhai looks at his mother, he bites his bottom lip for a moment before nodding and goes back to his books, Jing Sheng smiles then looks at the baby that was wrapped around his belly.

Jing Sheng casually walks down into the village thinking there are a lot of things that he needs to plan: fixing the house, the kids' education, food as well as income. There is so much to think about but for now he should focus on food.

Upon reaching the town he receives some unpleasant stares by onlookers who whispers at him, he sighs paying no heed to the distasteful stares. Looking around he pauses when he sees a cartman near by an old shop, he quickly rushes there looking at him.

“No, I can't afford no seeds!” The shop mistress argues.

“Madam you must understand this will probably be your only chance to get these at a low price since there will be a famine ahead!” The cartman encourages.

“As long as I can make money I can have sees, my sick child needs medicine. I don't need seeds now!” She objects.

“Bu–”

“Please I have no money to spare!” She soon shuts the door in his face.

The cart man feels discouraged, it seems he won't make much this trip if there will be others and it's a while back to the city of Sheng Ya. Jing Sheng raises his hands, “Gentleman! Gentleman! Wait!”

The cart man looks up narrowing his eyes to see a gent running in his direction, there was a baby tied to his waist but he wonders why?

Upon reaching, Jing Sheng takes a few breathes his body is not very strong or isn't fully healed to be doing such things but he needs to get things done.

“You sell seeds ya?” Jing Sheng asks.

“Yes, I do.”

“Um what type?”

“Corn seeds, watermelons, there's radishes as well as cabbage, there is many types of seeds such carrots and water melons. But I must say they are bit pricey.” The cartman warns.

“What's your price range?” He asks.

“13 coppers to 3 silvers,” the cartman answers.

“How often do you come?”

“I'm a seasonal seller don't come during the winters but you'll see mostly when it's farming seasons,” he answers.

Jing Sheng thinks, “I'd like to by some seeds,” he asks.

“Hmm?”

“Corn seeds and radish seeds,”

“1 silver and 5 coppers”

“Cabbage seeds?”

“13 coppers”

Jing Sheng sighs he takes out two silvers and pays the cartman, he smiles handing him his change as well as the separate seeds. “Next seasons I'd like to buy more seeds,”

“You seems like a nice person, I come with different seeds every seasons so here have some carrot seeds. It hasn't been selling much so I might have to give some away so he doesn't go bad.” The cartman said getting on his cart.

“Thank you kind gentleman,”

The cartman starts his journey but can't help but admire how beautiful the gent is it's unfortunate he is married with child. Like most gentlemen his husband probably off to war, it was pure luck that he (cartman) didn't have to go to war.

Jing Sheng sighs looking at the seeds, he looks at the baby whose pretty eyes stares at his surroundings. Jing Sheng continues his journey for food, still with the unfavorable stares and gossips; even in ancient times gossip spreads fast.

Jing Sheng was about to head home now, when he heard a loud shout he then saw a woman stumble to ground.

“Wang!!” The woman held her face as she crawls on the floor.

“You dare show your face after doing something so demoral?”

“We needed the money, Wang! I did for us!” The lady cries going on her knees.

Jing Sheng looks at the man with a crutch in under his right arm he looks down to see there was no leg. He can guess an early release due to an injury like that.

“For who? You sleep with random men and say it is for us? You whore!” The man stoops a big gripping her by her collar as she cries.

The people that surrounds whispers at the display, “sleeping with men?”

“Oh its her, I saw with Mr. Cheng,”

“And Mr. Wen”

“Not to mention Mr. Gan from up the streets.”

Hearing the whispers in the crowd the man lowers his head in shame as he stumbled back losing his balance and falling on his bum.

“W-Why?” He asks in tears.

She crawls over to him whimpering and crying. “You were sick, I didn't want to lose you… but we had no money. *Hic* I'm sorry Wang… we had no money. You'd die and leave me, I'm sorry wang.” She cries begging.

Wang remains silent, but after a while he opens his arms welcoming her. She hurries into his arms as they both cries, Jing Sheng feels sad it's probably an option many choose but he is happy he didn't beat her to death because 9 out of 10 times women dies at the end. He prays its not an act because it would be truly disappointing.

Heading back on his way he saw Chen Ming with some medicine, his face looking miserable. He wants to asks about Ai Liling but would it be best? No, Chen Ming hates him it'd best not to approach him; especially in this state.

Jing Sheng is tired by all this hostility and wonders when will peace rain?

Chen Ming looks up and sees Jing Sheng walking away, he clench his fist and teeth but soon loosen it as sadness engulfs him. “Lingling, I'm sorry.”