chapter 2

Chapter 2

Jing Sheng felt pity for the previous owner as he knew how hard it was to lose a spouse, he wasn't a single parent struggling but his second wife sadly passed away and to this day it's hard to remember her. Jing Sheng held respect for him. He should have been able to reunite with his husband in good spirits but fate was cruel and he died.

Jing Sheng had made up his mind, he'd take care of these children himself. Looking at the poor state of the children he hugged them feeling pity for them they have lost their true mother without knowing.

"Mom, rest, rest" Chen Jianyu the second child said

"It's okay, it's okay, I'm okay" he repeated

"Is the little one okay?" He asked

"The little one is okay, he is very okay" Jing Sheng lied

He was not okay, all of them were very underweight and the baby inside him must also be lacking plenty, it's a miracle he hasn't ceased to live. Jing Sheng was one month away from giving birth, he shouldn't be thinking dangerous things but he must in order for them to survive. It's a cruel thought but even the previous owner was willing to sacrifice this unborn child in order to save the children. It doesn't mean he won't be careful but he is gonna work as hard as he can for both himself and the children.

He eased up with a slight groan, he held his hip, there was some pain there. The previous owner really worked himself to death didn't he? But it was understandable.

"Children"

The two boys look up at him, "yes?"

"Let's go look something to eat" Jing Sheng said

"No need, you need to rest," Chen Jinhai said, fixing the torn patch sheet on him. "I'll go earn some copper, there is some leftover porridge I'll serve it to you" Chen Jinhai said getting up

Jing Sheng felt sad seeing the little boy, Chen Jinhai was the first son he was currently 12 years old and Jianyu was only 5. Chen Jinhai was a very mature and intelligent child for his age and because of the situation he had to grow up in a span of months. Not to mention Jing Sheng's pregnancy.

"No Jinhai I can-"

"That's enough, if you keep going on like this, maybe this time you might not get up, do you want to leave us orphaned before dad gets home?" He lectured

Jing Sheng could not rebuke the little one but send him out to work. What kind of man allows that, but then again it was this stubborn thinking that led the previous owner to his death. He sighed yielding even though it goes against his pride and will, "only for today!"

"Okay, Jianyu takes care of mother and doesn't let him leave the house. Mom is very sick"

"Yes big brother!"

Jing Sheng patted his head heading for the kitchen and took out the last bit of porridge, this was meant for later and his mother left it for them but because his mother was weak he gave it to him.

Jing Sheng looked at the bowl with displeasure. This wasn't porridge, it had no sustenance, it wasn't even thick, it was, it was, water? But who was he to complain, the previous owner had nothing, so what he must do?

"Eat, I'll return soon"

Jing Sheng did not feel comfortable sending this 12 year old out alone, he tried to get but his tummy and body was so heavy not to mention weak!

"Jinhai, must you go? I'm okay"

"Do not worry Mom I'll be okay"

With that, Chen Jinhai left the house, it saddens Jing Sheng to see such children being mature. Jing Sheng looked at the porridge and sighed taking a sip and just as predicted the porridge was tasteless, he took few more spoon full before offering the little one next to him, "have some"

"But it's yours" he insisted

"No its all of us take some and leave the rest for Jinhai" Jing Sheng said

Although it wasn't much to begin with, Chen Jianyu nodded, taking the bowl and spoon and took some spoonfuls before leaving the rest in the kitchen for his elder brother. "Come, come little one time for bed"

"But it's early"

"Then let's go get some fresh air" Jing Sheng said

"Mama brother said you should rest" he said

"I'll be resting outside"

It felt so awkward to be addressed as mom but he endured it for the child. Getting up had proven to be a great task but walking was even a greater endurance but he made it to the outside, Jianyu was close attention to his mother who was looking around observantly.

Jing Sheng could probably guess the period judging from the memories, now thinking after giving birth he may have to search the mountains but for now he must rely on fishing to make ends meet but as said fishing was not easy especially with professional fishermen out their, it was a tough time for the previous owner since it was only required one male the family that had more than own provider was in luck and those men love to bully the gent and females who had to fend for themselves.

As if it wasn't a tough time for them already, and Jing Sheng who blamed the villager for the taking of his husband they made it more difficult for him even whilst being pregnant.

Jing Sheng can understand the villagers on why they reported Chen Chuanli but he sympathises more with the previous owner Jing Sheng.

Jing Sheng started pacing around despite the pain in his knees and the aching of his hips, his mind was in deep thought as he contemplated on how to aid the children. He'd live for Chen Jinhai to not feel like the breadwinner of the family. So he thought as he walked.

Jianyu watched him as he walked in deep thoughts, Jing Sheng finally reached the back yard where there were plenty of bushes. He looked down at something brushing against his legs as he looked down, his eyes widened.

____________________________________