chapter 10

Chapter 10

Chen Jinhai, who was waiting outside with the Yu brothers, looks at his younger brother Chen Jianyu.

A while later their mother came back with some parcels of rice and flour, there was little salt and some oil as well. Even with 70 coppers in his name he couldn't buy many things and now he only has 9 coppers in his name, he looks at the Yu brothers then bows. Yu Han stops him before he could.

"No need, no need" 

"Thank you very much, I am very grateful for your kindness. One day I shall repay you" 

Jing Sheng thinks it is good to make relations with the brothers. They seem like kind people and maybe they could help in the long run.

"No need, now if you will excuse us" Yu Han said 

"Oh, farewell gentlemen" 

"Farewell" both brothers said.

The two groups went their separate ways.

When Jing Sheng reached home, he almost collapsed to the floor. He was huffing tirelessly, his back hurts, his ankles were swollen and he was hungry. He could pass out any minute from all this, he knew women had it tough but this is just torture. 

Chen Jinhai went inside to get a chair, "sit, I'll cook the rice and fish" 

Jing Sheng was startled, "no! I shall do it!" 

"No! You're too stubborn, your body or little one can't take it. Do you want to leave us? Dad isn't here you are the only we got, do you want to leave us?! Sit! I can cook!" Chen Jinhai scolds him.

Jing Sheng bit his lips.Yes, he was on the verge of collapsing but letting the little one around the fire. Chen Jinhai sighed his mother was so stubborn, "I'll be careful you can even watch me to be sure" 

It was only then could Jing Sheng back down.

As they all brought the stuff to the kitchen, Chen Jinhai took some rice outside his parcel and washed it attentively under the watchful gaze of his mother and brother. After washing the rice and adding more water to boil, he poured a tip of oil in it then lit the stone stove. Chen Jinhai realised that he would need to chop wood soon, His mother barely allowed it but he had to give in since his body was straining too much and he had experience from this because he learns from his father. 

After placing the pot on the fire he took the fish and the knife and began to cut it, cleaning the insides.

Jing Sheng who was observing the child was impressed, then again he shouldn't be. Chen Jinhai was very active in his parents' life after all, from his father's hunting to his mother's cooking. Children live what they learn and with parents like the previous owner and Chen Chuanli it was no mystery that they knew how to survive. 

Jing Sheng watches as his son carefully, Chen Jinhai diligently cuts the fish in four pieces then season it with salt. He also washes the spinach and cuts it. He wished he had Chilli to spice the food a bit but he should be grateful for the meal.

Jing Sheng looks at his mature child, only twelve and taking care of his father so well.

Chen Jianyu looks at his brother carefully, he then looks at his mom looking at his brother. His brother always told him to behave and not to give their mom trouble, if he misbehaved his brother scolds him harshly. So he learns never to misbehave in the presence of his brother.

After the rice was done cooking he put on the frying pan and poured oil into it. After it's hot he puts the three pieces of fish inside to fry.

Chen Jinhai was being very careful, his mother was watching after all. Jing Sheng rubs his tummy as he feels the baby inside acting up the smell of food, he could only coax the impatient unborn one.

Jing Sheng was soon due, he isn't exactly sure of the date but he can tell it probably within this month. He hopes the child survives but he cannot help but doom at their predicament, a baby will not be easy to handle going forward but still he will work something out. 

Thinking about the necessities, food, clothing,  education and shelter not to mention money. Jing Sheng had so much on his little plate while still being pregnant.

After finishing frying the fish he adds the spinach and stir-fries them while mixing it. Chen Jinhai could feel strands of his hair in his face, maybe from the sweat before the fire head. He however didn't let it bother him as he remained focused until the end of dinner.

After that he got the bowls sharing the rice and put some of the spinach on a plate making sure to leave leftovers, he did the same with the fish placed on the table. Jing Sheng smiled at him then put his hair ruffling the boy's hair. 

"My bao Jin is such an excellent cook I'm sure his future wife will appreciate his good gesture" Jing Sheng teases.

Chen Jinhai looks away blushing for being tease, "time to eat" 

"Yes, my little helper" 

They all sat around the table with the chopsticks picking up pieces of fish. This was a good meal they had in a long time.

See u guys next month 😋😋