chapter 4

Chapter 4

Chapter 4

There was no soap, only water, it was not like it didn't exist, it was more that they couldn't afford it. After soap was something nobles owned and this was a family of villagers.

While bathing the young one his tummy soon grumbled, he was hungry but there was nothing in the kitchen. Jing sheng frowned this was a painful situation, Jianyu saw the frown cast upon his mother face he smiled "Haha, my tummy makes weird noises all the time it's funny funny"

Jing Sheng's heartache looking at the little one, the innocent smile that was cast upon his face as he tried to bear the hunger, no child should be in this situation.

After giving the small one a bath, he took one himself thinking on how to get some food, not to mention he doesn't want to go out and Chen Jinhai returns to see him not here.

Just a tough situation but he must do something in order for them to eat!

After the unsatisfactory bath he put on the clothes with uncomfortable material, ready to linger out to scavenge for food when the door opened, revealing Chen Jinhai the smile on Jing Sheng's face fell to a frown as soon as he witnessed Jinhai's face and body.

The child had bruises on his cheeks and arms, dirt covered his clothes, inside his arms were dirty bread and fresh fish. Jing Sheng could not say a single word.

"Sorry mom, I lost the money, but I have food, I dropped it on my way here so excuse the dirt" he apologised looking down dejected at the food.

Jing Sheng's eyes welled with tears, Jinhai's hand was shaking like a loose branch in the wind, his face had worn no expression as he held on to the food for dear life.

With hard times like these there are shameless people out there that try to take advantage of vulnerable children such as Jinhai or children would steal to add their families either way it was not fair nor was it right.

He stooped down and hugged Jinhai tightly as if his the most precious glass within his embrace.

"You did well bao bao, you did well" he said patting his back

Jinhai didn't say anything . It's to feed his mother and brother he'll work as hard as he could, since his father is a way he is now the man of this house his mother is pregnant and is very sad it's the best he could do.

Jing Sheng released him then held his shoulder and looked him sternly in the eyes.

"Chen Jinhai, tomorrow and from henceforth you will not be going out alone I'll be traveling with you"

"Bu-"

"No buts, I have an idea how we can get fishes and we all must work together"

"Until father comes back?"

"....." for a moment he forgot about their father, "until your father comes back".

Though he can't guarantee that their father would come back alive he hate to be that person but this was war and their father wasn't and official, he was probably a foot man in the war so the likely chance of him being alive is none. But is revealing such a truth to child wise? No.

"Okay, we will all be together until the end" Jinhai said

Jing Sheng nods as he took the fish from jinhai. "I'll go prepare this" Jing Sheng got up ready to leave but stopped for a moment, "go bathe before you eat dinner" he informed.

Jinhai nods as he watched Jing Sheng head to the kitchen with the food truly, he looked at Jianyu who looked like he had a lot to say.

"Is something the matter?" He asked

"Mama, smile today, many times"

Ever since their had been taken away their mother hasn't smiled, so his smiling would be unbelievable. Jinhai didn't say nothing only nodding then went to set water so he could have his bath. There was no seasoning in the kitchen, no oil only no salt so the only water.

Jing Sheng had no choice but to yield to his terrible circumstances and clean the fish of its scales and insides then bowl it. Jing Sheng was upset boiled fresh water fish with no seasoning might as well eat it raw as well.

He slightly cut off the dirty parts of the bread, with their conditions wasting food was an abomination but he can never allow children to eat dirty things.

Dividing the bread giving the children the larger quantity, he looked at the fish that was now cooked and dried down he share the kids the meaty part as he took the head, he hated the head, but he must not be picked and this was the hard earned food of the eldest child he cannot put it to waste even if every Fibre of his being was telling him to do so.

Jing Sheng then took out the chopsticks as he placed the food of the children around the table, he took out a bowl with water and said, "wash your hands first"

The children nods washing their hand in the bowl then sat in the chair taking up their chopsticks to eat. Jing Sheng two wash his hands as he sat around the table picking up the wooden chopsticks all of them paused for a moment clasping their hands making a small prayer then began.

Jing Sheng looked at the kids who were quickly digging in, they were very hungry it was a sad reality for them all. Jing Sheng nibbled on the bread as he watched the children eat he only took a small bite of the fish but wasn't able to swallow. So he left it the children will eat it later.

Jing Sheng had left little bread for tomorrow's breakfast, they'll probably have a tough day tomorrow. He hopes they don't get bullied he should carry a weapon in case. Truly what a cruel fate they all have. But for the children he will face it.