Chapter 14 - Welcome

"Tomorrow begins the last days of autumn," Thorin stated firmly to the five of them that huddled together.

"Durin's Day falls the morn after next. We must reach the mountain before then," Balin added with a sense of urgency.

"And if we do not? If we fail to find the hidden door before that time..." Kili's voice trailed off with worry, making sure Bard's children were not listening in

"Then this quest has been for nothing," Fili concluded grimly.

"We have not come this far to fail!" Anaynah encouraged.

Her thoughts were also that she had not travelled for months with a dozen stubborn, loud and grumpy Dwarves for nothing.
Their conversation halted as Bard entered the room, unloading a large oil-skin bundle onto the table. With a swift motion, he revealed an assortment of makeshift weapons crafted from fishing equipment, tools, and roughly hewn iron.

"What is this?" Thorin questioned, clearly unimpressed as he picked up one of the weapons, a short staff with a rusty hook bound with twine.

"A pike-hook," Bard explained calmly. "Made from an old harpoon."

"And this?" Kili examined another weapon, wincing as he shifted his weight from his bad leg.

"A crowbill," Bard answered, "fashioned from a smithy's hammer. Heavy in hand, I grant - but in defence of your life, it will serve you better than none."

"We paid you for weapons. iron-forged swords and axes!" Gloin exclaimed his disappointment.

Anaynah observed from over Nori's shoulder. Yes the weapons were handmade but beggars cannot be choosers, these would serve well enough in a fight.

"It's a joke!" Bofur interjected incredulously as the Dwarves tossed the handmade weapons back on the table.

Bard defended his offerings. "You won't find better outside the city armoury; all iron-forged weapons are held there under lock and key."

"Thorin!" Balin's tone was urgent, "Why not take what's on offer and go? I've made do with less, Thorin, and so have you. I say we leave now."

"You're not going anywhere," Bard asserted firmly, causing the Dwarves to bristle with tension.

"What did you say?" Dwalin demanded, his voice sharp.

Bard stood his ground. "There's spies watching this house, and probably every dock and wharf in town. You must wait for nightfall."

The Dwarves calmed down when they realised that Bard only had their best interests in mind. Anaynah caught eyes with him and mouthed an 'I'm sorry' for her companion's rudeness. He responded with a gentle smile and nod.

As the Dwarves grudgingly settled in to wait out the day, Kili winced in pain. Anaynah came to his side, helping him into his seat.

"It's getting worse isn't it," she observed.

The prince shook his head, "Just haven't been able to rest it well. It's fine."

"I don't know. How will you manage when-"

"I'll manage!" Kili snapped defensively. Anaynah scoffed.

"I only want to help, Kili. It kills me to see you like this."

Kili's expression softened as he sunk back in his seat, realising his harsh tone "I know, forgive me."

Anaynah was pulled away from the conversation when she saw Bard hurrying out the door, wondering what he was up to.

______

As the evening settled over Bard's house, casting long shadows across the room, Thorin took charge of the discussion. The Dwarves gathered around the wooden table, their voices hushed as they listened to his plan.