Chapter 4 - A Burglar

Gandalf opened the door to reveal the leader.

Thorin II Oakensheild.

There was no doubt when looking at Thorin. He was a king. The way he held himself was that of sovereignty and nobility. His icy gaze and demeanour dripped with power, filling the room with awe before he even entered.

"Gandalf," the Dwarf leader greeted as he lowered

"Gandalf," the Dwarf leader greeted as he lowered. He proceeded to step into the doorway, "I thought you said this place would be easy to find. I lost my way, twice."
Anaynah mentally chuckled at the irony. She too had a hard time making her way to Bag-End with his nephews, "I wouldn't have found it at all had it not been for that mark on the door."
His Dwarven companions bowed their heads in respect for their leader.

"Mark? There's no mark on that door, it was painted a week ago!" Bilbo retaliated as he shoved through the crowd and came to the front.

"There is a mark; I put it there myself," Gandalf replied, well and truly over the incessant complaints from the Hobbit.
"Bilbo Baggins, allow me to introduce the leader of our company, Thorin Oakensheild." 

The mighty Dwarf stepped forward to meet Bilbo, stark judgement seeping from his stare causing the Hobbit to feel smaller than he already was.

"So, this is the Hobbit." Thorin concluded, "Tell me Mr. Baggins have you done much fighting?" he questioned circling, Bilbo as he examined him like prey, up and down.

"Pardon me?" Fighting? The Hobbit was puzzled at the bizarre question.

"Axe or sword? What is your weapon of choice?" He continued as he came to a standstill.

"Well I do have some skill at Conkers, if you must know, but I fail to see how that is relevant," Bilbo responded. The Company smirked at his response. It was clear to Anaynah that he truly had no idea what the matter of this gathering was.

"Thought as much, he looks more like a grocer than a burglar." Thorin mocked Bilbo, the rest laughing along with him as they guided him to the dining room.

Anaynah simply gave a light smile before it faded as she realised the Hobbit was very well quite taken back, still confused out of his mind. However, Gandalf said that there was something special about him, and she was going to trust him.

______

The Dwarves once again gathered around the table, including Gandalf and Anaynah. Thorin sat at the head of the table, sipping at a bowl of warm soup.
Anaynah, who now sat by herself in the corner of the room, listened intently to the conversation.

Thorin spoke of his meeting in Ered Luin, where representatives of all seven Dwarf kingdoms had gathered to discuss their quest. However, it was decided that they would not aid them. Their hearts sank as the room was filled with much dismay.