CHAPTER 40

ADLAI

In an ethereal place, between mind and body, they spoke; The eldest Arbitor and the thing beneath the ink of his eyes.

"What have you decided," said the Slithering Thing.

"I haven't really," said Adlai.

"Then this task would best be served in my care."

"Maybe, but the girl. It's her I'm not really sure about," said Adlai.

"Your concern is not without merit. I understand your reluctance, but the world we seek to create demands sacrifice. If you wish to forgo the guilt of doing the deed, then I will take up this task."

"But why? She hasn't done anything wrong outside of getting to know Achim, and it isn't her fault that she met him. She's just some kid who doesn't have a clue," said Adlai.

"Fault is not always the determining factor. Not in the grand game we have been made to play."

"Then...then what are we doing this for?"

"We do this to end His charade. I have spent eons watching the whims of a misguided god ferryman to their doom. All in the name of glory. His glory. That girl is the perfect pawn for Him. If she lives, I foresee a life wrought with war. She will become strong, perhaps a nigh-unstoppable force, but she will be a tool of those who deem themselves divine. As a spear to be aimed at we who seek to liberate reality, she will fight, and, as it is with war, her humanity will be whittled away until a shell is all that remains."

"So she'll just suffer then?"

"Suffering is the fate of all who are chosen," said The Slithering Thing. "Your brother, despite his sins, is just as much a victim of his own fate as he is to blame. By killing him you will be both his most deserving judge and his savior."

"...I see, but what about the girl?"

"It is a shame to snuff out one so strong so soon, but the death we offer will not only be a boon to The Cause, but a mercy on her soul."

"I'm still not sure. I-I'm sorry," said the Eldest Arbitor.

A certain silence spread through that ethereal place. An uneasy silence. "The hour is upon us, Young Lord," said the Slithering Thing.

"...Achim?"

"He encroaches." The creature confirmed.

"...D-did he come alone?"

A pause. "...He stands before you in solitude."

"Good. Thank you," said Adlai.

"Can you do it?"

"I have to."

"And if you cannot?"

"Then I will put my faith in you and say the prayer." Adlai promised. "It won't' be like any other time where I simply allow you to speak through me or anything. You will have complete control until my possession is freely relinquished by you. That's what you wanted, right?"

"...Not what I wanted. What is required. Regardless, this battle demands decisive action. I can feel the winds roar. She will be here sooner than we originally anticipated: The bearer of my brother's curse."