Mads: For You

FOR YOU by MyriamRow
Was to be reviewed by: kalhixo
Reviewed by: CrownedMadness

SUMMARY:

Jaxson Scott wakes up in a void after his death. Given a chance to return to life, he accepts the task of helping a girl named Lexi, whom he was destined to meet. He falls in love with her while struggling with the knowledge that he will soon have to leave her and his life behind again.

PLOT:

The plot, on its own, is solid and intriguing with its mix of supernatural and romantic elements. I foresee (and hope) the themes of love, loss, the afterlife, and the value of time getting explored.

However, the execution could benefit from more emotional dynamics. It seems Jaxson had a decent, loving life before, which prompts the question of why he was so accepting of his death and the offer of meeting his destined someone. I'd suggest delving more into Jaxson's internal struggles, the conflicting emotions that are sure to be present, and portraying them in depth.

I'd also like to point out that reframing the sentences would enhance the impact of the blurb. For example, the name Lexi dropped in the second paragraph creates confusion; I suggest shifting it to the first paragraph right after mentioning the girl for more clarity. Also, ending the blurb with a cliffhanger or a hook will entice the reader.

CHARACTERS:

Jaxson is a likable, adorable character. The pointers mentioned previously will enhance his character to be more three-dimensional. Paying attention to detail will also help; for example, when he drives to school, does he recall the accident? If so, is he worried about riding in a car, especially with the uncertain rules of his new life? Since it's a first-person POV, all these details will add authenticity to Jaxson's narrative.

Lexi is an effortless portrayal of introverts and bookworms, which makes her easily relatable, especially to that niche. I also foresee a lot of her struggles being relatable to the readers.

The sequences between Jasxon and Lexi are well-orchestrated. It's easy to get invested in their relationship. The awkwardness and blushy moments are cute and authentic.

Grandpa and Jaxson's banter is a highlight. Though, at times, the voices of both the characters seemed to blend. The youthful portrayal of Grandpa is interesting, but a more mature choice of words will help to distinguish their voices.

WRITING:

The first few paragraphs are wobbly, but the writing gets stronger as the story progresses. The simple language and lighthearted tone are apt for this story and make it easily digestible. The descriptions are just enough to visualize, though again, attention to detail will create a more unique atmosphere. The dialogues are witty; as mentioned before, the banter is a highlight. In fact, the undertone of humor and sarcasm drives this book.

There are a few abrupt time jumps. For example, the conversation between Jaxson and Grandpa gets abruptly cut to Jaxson showering. The common way to show time skip is three asterisks (***). Additionally, the first-person sometimes slips into the third-person, and the odd switching between Grandpa and Leonard (it confused me the first time the name dropped out of the blue) creates disruption.

WORLD-BUILDING:

The depiction of the in-between afterlife as an illusion of what is to come is fascinating. It's interesting how the nothingness seeps even into the emotions of the people there. Grandpa's sort of mind-reading ability is another peculiar element. The afterlife rules are yet to be revealed, but I see great potential in wonderfully shaping this world.

GRAMMATICAL IMPROVEMENTS:

There are comma splices (linking of independent clauses using commas), hyphens missing in compound words, missing punctuations, and typos. A thorough proofreading can fix these errors. I'd suggest reading out loud, which usually helps recognize these errors.

TITLE:

Short and snappy titles are more likely to be remembered by readers. From that perspective, "For You" earns a point. After careful consideration, I think the title encapsulates Jaxson Scott's rebirth as "For You", or rather, for Lexi. However, my initial impression of the title is meh. The title is the first marketing tool, and "For You", on its own, is not unique enough to grab attention or prompt readers to read the book.

BOOK COVER:

Simple and orderly. The composition is precise; however, enlarging the author's name will improve readability, especially on mobile devices. The illustration and soft blue color choice complement the story and are aesthetically pleasing. Kudos!

ENJOYMENT QUOTIENT:

"For You" vies for affection. The lighthearted tone and amusing dialogue ease the reader to turn the pages. At some moment, I thought this could make for an appealing K-drama. I sensed a comforting quality to Jaxson and Lexi's story that would be appreciated by anyone who enjoys binge-watching K-dramas.

BOTTOMLINE:

Although there is some room for improvement, the plot has the potential to balance suspense and emotions, making it a compelling read. "For You" will appeal to anyone who loves a heartwarming love story, a little angst, and romantic themes of the damsel in distress and star-crossed lovers.