Chapter 25

After an awkward, interminable dinner, I excused myself to shower and sleep.

Of course, instead of actually sleeping, I lay in my bed reading until Adam finally came up. Then all my attention was focused on him and on not giving away what we were doing behind closed doors.

Later, waking from a doze, I felt the faint pulse of an oncoming headache and realized how much wine I'd drunk trying to keep from flinging my utensils at my father's smug face.

I lay on my side, warm despite the light covers. How could I not, with a strong, solid form curled up behind me, holding me close?

Behind my eyelids, I savored the scent of him on my pillow, the rough texture of his legs against mine.

But I couldn't ignore the insistent drumbeat in my head, foretelling misery.

Get up - it'll only get worse.

Rolling over, I gave Adam's shoulder a light shake, "Hey, I'm going down to the kitchen - want anything?"

"Hmm?" His head rose off the pillow slightly, bleary eyes struggling to open.

My thoughts burned with the memory of his cock in my mouth, his gaze locked with mine, holding back a groan as his essence shot into my throat.

Guess I wore him out...

Smiling fondly, I sighed, "Nevermind. Go back to sleep."

"Okay." Without another word, his face dropped back down, almost immediately resuming the even breathing of deep slumber.

Disentangling myself from him, I stepped into our shared bathroom to assess my appearance and clean up as well as I could.

There'll be hell to pay if anyone figures out what we've been up to in here.

Satisfied that I looked "sleep mussed" instead of "freshly fucked" I found my clothes on the darkened floor of my bedroom, pulling them on before carefully opening the door and tiptoeing downstairs.

In the muted glow of the under-cabinet lighting, I found a glass and filled it from the dispenser in the refrigerator door. The first fill slaked my thirst. The second washed the parched taste out of my mouth. By the third, I let myself sip, enjoying the near absolute silence around me.

Near absolute.

Somewhere close, the faintest hint of audio whispered out of electronic speakers.

Topping off the glass, I approached the foot of the stairs, planning to down some ibuprofen and crawl back into bed with Adam - but I noticed how the sound grew subtly louder as I drew near.

Curious, I peered down the short hallway on the other side of the wall. That first night, Bruce had offhandedly mentioned that these rooms were the library, laundry room, and his office.

And there was a distinct incandescent glow shining out of the slightly ajar middle door.

Tiptoeing along the floor runner, I peeked into the room to see a modestly sized but up-to-date office.

Then, the door swung open, and I was face to face with a startled Bruce Warner.

"Oh, uh, hi Nora?"

"Omigod," I felt my cheeks burning with the searing heat of my blush. "I'm so sorry - I just heard a noise and I couldn't figure out what it-"

"Ah." Reaching into the room, he flipped the light switch off before pulling the handle closed. "Meeting with some investors in India."

"India?"