Ch. 17 - Acta est fabula, plaudite! | Ⅵ

[ TW: MUTILATION, VIOLENCE AND BLOOD. ]

"Little brat thought it could get away that easily." The attacker sneered sadistically, yanking the dagger out of (Y/N)'s right leg. The eldest cried out at the violent action, their fingers digging into the dirt as the attacker called the rest of his pals.

".. Someone.. Someone help me..." They sobbed quietly. The ringing in their ears didn't help, neither did the condescending laughter of the attackers.

Just as one attacker was about to grab their bloodied wrist, he screamed in agony when he saw his hand get detached from his arm.

"Ah- aAAH一!"

▷ [ New Character Detected: Xiao the Bane of All Evil ]

(Y/N) could barely hear the system's voice and, with their vision blurry; all they could witness was a figure that emanated a dark teal colour. The aura looked akin to fire and (Y/N) thought at that moment, is this what hell looked like?

The screams dissipated so quickly that they assumed it was the wind that took the attackers' lives.

It went silent, albeit the soft footsteps that crept towards (Y/N). The eldest shut their eyes tightly, but what happened next startled them.

They got slumped over the stranger's shoulder and (Y/N) instantly panicked. "Wait..! Haoyu- Haoyu is that way.." They wriggled weakly, pointing their better hand toward where their younger brother had fled.

The person supposedly known as Xiao huffed and turned around, heading in the direction (Y/N) pointed desperately at.
After a while of walking, Xiao plonked the eldest on the ground again and (Y/N) couldn't utter a thank you when the person disappeared.

But (Y/N) disregarded the thought of being unable to repay the help they were given when they found Haoyu huddled in a bush nearby, fast asleep.

A wave of relief washed over (Y/N) at that moment. Tears flooded their eyes, and all they wanted was to wrap their arms around their baby brother.

And then- an awful, overwhelming sensation of their own pulse went rampant, and a coldness permeated their limbs. Right.. The blood.

They couldn't even reach their brother when dizziness seized them, rendering the eldest unable to feel their brother's warmth.

▷ [ Achievement Unlocked: At What Cost? ]

一一一

The attack was notified to the Taohua Clan a mere few minutes later, and it left the clan leader both shocked and enraged, resulting in his wife fainting at the very moment the news arrived.

With a thunderous slam of his cane, the members scampered away as rescuers lined in with Haoyu carried as if he was a precious gem. Father stumbled over to check on his unharmed son and breathed out.
"Where is that.. thing." He whirled to the servant beside him.