Ch. 8 - The World Through Rose-Tinted Glasses | Ⅶ

He couldn't look away, he couldn't leave. Not with this child. Staring up at him with naivety, innocence and joy, so free from the troubles of life and just smiling. Smiling without care. Oh, how he wishes he could be the same. He wants to smile back, but he can't.

(Y/N) tilted their head when Dainsleif stared back at them, his eyes shimmering as if he was about to crumble right then and there and weep. The child frowned and raised their hand to clasp around Dainsleif's closed and shaken fist.

An alarm blared loudly in their head.

[ Unauthorized Character Interaction! ]

[ Do Not Engage With Character Or Face Protocol's Punishment! ]

Flinching backwards and feeling Diluc's gentle hands grounding them, (Y/N)'s frown turned saddened. It was that bully in their head again.

'Why are you being so mean today? You're extra mean!' (Y/N) demanded internally, not caring for the headache that simmered in the back of their head. It had been a few times when the bully would suddenly blare warnings, alarms or threats out of nowhere, and it was seriously getting on (Y/N)'s nerves!

▷ [ . . . This system is not being mean. Only doing its job. ]

The child wanted to hit the bully so badly! What does it mean doing its job? Its job is being mean! They just want to comfort Dainsleif!

▷ [ Do Not Engage With Character Or Face Protocol's Punishment. ]

See! Being extra mean! (Y/N) whined angrily, frustrated with its dumb voice and even dumber warnings. But soon, Diluc's hand gave them a small squeeze, redirecting their thoughts.

"Little one, your herbs helped a lot. Look." Diluc placed his leg in front and showed the now scabbed over injury, patches of green from where (Y/N) pressed the herbs down. Their eyes shined at the result of their help. "Dilu is okay now! Yippee!" The child cheered and clapped joyfully.

Diluc's smile turned warmer and went to place a praising hand on (Y/N)'s head, patting gently. "Good job."

A cough from Dainsleif seemed to snap them out of their fuzzy stupor, not like they wanted to, anyway.

"Do be careful about the hilichurls around here. They're particularly aggressive from what I witnessed." The blonde warned. His eyes flicking between the red-head and the child.

Nodding, Diluc promptly picked up (Y/N) and glanced at Dainsleif. "Thank you for your help. We'll be leaving now." He turned away bluntly and walked down the trail back to the Winery, but (Y/N) continued to look back at the blonde from over his shoulder.