2| OPHELIA

OPHELIA

***

MY HANDS ARE CALLOUSED, my knuckles are bloody, and my breathing is ragged.
Another hard, extreme day of training, but no matter. The blood on my knuckles will one day be someone else's blood.

I drop the spear to the ground, turning to leave behind the mess of broken wooden and straw stuffed dummies that lay in pieces on the ground. It's always a little fun to pretend that the dummies are possible Exorcists or whatever poses a threat.

Mother always said...to fuel your fight, your drive, fight for love.
And for my case, the ones I love are my family, my sisters, and my friends.
The love for my friends grew after that extreme battle between Heaven and Hell, when Adam was slayed by the little ginger hands of Niffty.

It was a victory for Heaven, and that was just a week ago when it happened.
Lots of thing changed in that one small week, the hotel was rebuilt, I was given the rank as Overlord by Lucifer Morningstar himself--his way of giving his thanks to me for participating in the fight.

Look at me now, I finally made it to the top.
And nobody will take me back down. The only time I'll let them is going to be over my dead body. And that, will never happen.

With aching hands, I grab the bottle of water on the table and begin to drink, sparing no seconds to breathe as I feel the need to swallow every drop the moment it touches my chapped lips.
"You've improved drastically," a low female voice cuts through the silence, her figure slowly circling me, the tip of her hair gingerly brushing against my bare shoulders.

I crack a little smile. "I have to, since I'm Overlord now," I take one last swallow of my water before tossing aside the empty bottle and turning to face Carmilla. "I'm happy, mom..."
She smiles softly, the cold, stoic look on her face cracking when the word happy leaves my lips.

With a gentle hand, she squeezes my shoulder encouragingly. "I'm proud of you," she winks playfully, "I always knew you'd reach the stars."
My smile widens, before I chew nervously on my bottom lip. "You think...dad's proud too? He...hasn't said anything yet."

Carmilla inhales, her hand slowly falling away from my shoulder at the mention of my father. "Your father is the...strong silent type, dearie," she kisses the top of my head, "even if he doesn't speak the words verbally, he is proud of you. He just...shows it in his own ways."

I smirk softly. "And by that, you mean, making me his finest tea blend he only breaks out in times of celebration, and reading Shakespeare literature?"
She laughs. "Yeah, that's what I mean."

I laugh as well, before jumping when I see the time on the clock. Past 5:30?! I promised Charlie I'd be back at the hotel by 5:20! Jeez I'm so horrible with time.

With haste, I quickly throw my green crop top T on and slip on my ripped jean shorts over my training clothes, tying my hair back into a bun with a silver hairpin, engraved with an emerald gemstone on it's hilt.

"You off?" she asks, raising a curious brow when she sees how fast I'm moving.
"Yeah, sorry mum," I kiss her cheek, "Charlie wanted to throw a celebration party for me so I need to get going."

"Alright, have fun."

"I will! Love you mom!"

She smiles, waving softly as she watches me run for the large metallic door, her mind somewhere else, in a place I'll never truly know or understand until I become a mother myself.
"Love you too," she replies softly as the door closes behind me.

Even though my energy is drained to it's last bar, I force myself to start running, pretending in my head that I'm being chased just to make me run faster.
I dodge all the overdosed, drunk, sluggish demons who stand in my way, playfully spinning a web and sticking it to a light pole ahead of me.

With a quick yank, I lift myself up off the ground and swing over the too-thick crowd of demons that gathered to stare hungrily into a window to a TV shop, watching the latest Rated R movie Valentino just released.
You give no attention to such filth, but continue to swing before detaching from your web and landing swiftly on the sidewalk.

I feel eyes linger on me, and I can't help but smirk.
I used to feel a little insecure when people would stare, because back then, people actually had changes to hurt me.

But now, let them stare, want to know why?
Because I can take them on. I can kick there ass and leave them broken in the ditch.
Because I'm Ophelia Carmine. I can do anything I want, take the players and play them, kill the killers.

Become Death...for Death himself.
I stop walking, suddenly filling a little chill run down my spine as a memory of Death flashes before my eyes.
He was the reason I became who I am today, so...as much as I hate him, I can't help but silently thank him.

Without him, I'd probably have reached my demise by now.
But thanks to him, I'll make sure he reaches his demise if shows up to knock on my door.

He could show up to my door right now and I'd punch him and break that pretty little face of his.

...God damn how I swallowed my words.

Because an hour after I arrived at the hotel and joined the party...the door was knocked upon.
And when I opened it...He was there.

That same cocky, smug, seductive smile on his lips, a spitting image of a past I used as my crutch to become the girl I am now.
And a past at the same time...I want to forget.

That lazy place of a hand to his side, that little smirk, those simple words.
"Did you miss me?" was all he said, chuckling.

...well, I didn't punch him in the face, like how I imagined I would.
Instead, I did the one thing I vowed to never do.
I slammed the door, and ran away.