one

I sighed as I walked through the doors of Roslyn High School

It was the first day of my junior year, and I was feeling just about everything but excitement. My sister Quinn, on the other hand, was squealing with joy all morning because she couldn't wait to go back. She was a senior this year and unlike me, she was very popular. Quinn had been a cheerleader all four years and had a huge group of friends, most of whom I found very annoying. She was also dating Jack Ritter, a football player of course.

I was not interested in any extracurriculars that our high school offered, and was therefore not afforded the luxury of having a huge group of friends who all shared a common interest. In fact, I had the opposite. I had a huge group of popular juniors who hated me. Gemma Watts was the leader of their insufferable pack and made it her life's mission to make me miserable.

As I walked down the hallway towards my locker, everyone turned in my direction and started to stare. I was alone now, Quinn having ditched me the second we got here. My face immediately started to burn red at the unwanted attention. What were they staring at? I looked down to see if there was something wrong with my outfit, but couldn't find anything. I patted at my hair and face as I continued walking to feel if something was out of place, but nothing was. Instinctually, I turned around to see if Gemma's group had already started the torture, only to find a more shocking sight behind me.

Nobody had been staring at me. The person they were staring at was far more interesting.

Hunter Evans.

I almost continued to stare just like everyone else, but I didn't want to make him uncomfortable so I made it to my locker and started sorting through my things.

I could hear the endless amounts of whispers down the hall.

"He's out of prison?"

"I can't believe they let him back here after what he did."

"Who do you think he's going to beat up this time?"

I instantly felt bad for him. I had grown up with Hunter. He was Quinn's best friend all throughout elementary and middle school and I often got to tag along with them when they did things together. They had some falling out at the beginning of high school though and he stopped coming around. He had been gone all last year, and rumor was that he was in prison for assault, the victim being his own father. Everyone was quick to judge, but Hunter had always been a really nice guy so I didn't believe that the rumors were true.

I was stunned when I looked in my peripheral and saw that his locker was only two down from mine this year. I couldn't help but take a good look at him. He honestly looked like he had spent a year in prison. He was way bigger than I remembered, like he had grown a few inches and put on a massive amount of muscle mass. His dark hair and dark eyes made him look colder than he probably was. The tattoos that now littered his tan arms was the biggest change of all.