The library

Oliver pats Anthony on the back and begins making his way over to us, while Anthony continues to stand and stare. Oliver greets Lady Danbury first and then turns to me , "Lovely to see you again Ella, you look absolutely breathtaking," I ignore Lady Danburys pointed look and thank him quietly. More people enter and Oliver is quickly whisked away to greet the other guests.

"Now wh-"

"I'm going to get myself a drink, I'm absolutely parched" I cut Ms. Danbury off and quickly walk away towards the refreshment table. As I'm taking my first sip Anthony clears his throat next to me.

"So I see you've met Oliver" I sigh internally

"Yes, he introduced himself while I was reading in the park a few days ago." Anthony scoffs making me look up at him in confusion.

"I thought you were a refined lady, but I can see now you've been tainted already. Seems like you're just like all the other women who pine after me" My jaw drops and I have to hold back the urge of striking him.

"First you have no right to speak of any relationship I may or may not have with anyone. If I hear you speak towards me like that again I will not hesitate to run you over with a horse," He opens his mouth to reply but I continue, "And forgive me if a man introduced himself to me and I didn't completely ignore him. But I owe you nothing, Bridgerton and I will not have you soiling my name with your childish and brutish behavior." I breathed deeply "Now if you'll excuse me I have more important and respectable people to talk to," I begin to walk away but turn back "and for the record, I would NEVER pine after you".

I stormed away leaving the ballroom, I turned into the last room in a long hallway. I closed the door behind me resting my head against the door before opening my eyes. In front of me was the most beautiful library I had ever seen, it had floor to ceiling shelves full of books. A rolling ladder was pushed against the edge with a track running all the way across the room. There was a large wood fireplace with comfortable looking chairs, I could see dips showing they were sat in often. On the other side of the room there was a tall window and built into it a small bench with a cushion. I walked slowly around the room running my fingers over the spines. Some were cracked and worn showing they were read many times. Others were pristine, waiting to be read. I noticed a desk tucked in the back with books and papers spread on them. I walked towards the desk when the door opened.

"Ella. What are you doing in here?" I turned around to see Oliver standing in the open door.

"I got lost, you're house is like a maze" He laughs holding his arm out for me to grab,

"Well let me show you back to the party, maybe have the dance you promised?" I smile softly, lacing my arm through his and walking back towards the ballroom.

Oliver was pulled away immediately when we returned to the ballroom and I've been standing on the sidelines in idle conversation since. I can't stop thinking about what Anthony said and it's resulted in me spending most of the night staring off into nothing, lost in thought.

"Ella, I finally have a moment away from hosting duties, may I have this dance." Oliver bowed his head offering me his hand. I smiled blushing lightly and placed my hand in his. He lead me to the dance floor and we fell into an easy rhythm, stepping along to the dance.

"I'm glad you came tonight Ella"

"Me too" I smiled up at Oliver and he smiled back, glancing away nervously. We talked quietly, getting to know eachother better. He told me about growing up in Dublin, and I told his about growing up in New York. When we finally stopped dancing I was out of breath and red in the cheeks.

Oliver bowed his head, "It was lovely dancing with you Ella, would you give me the honor of a stroll through the park tomorrow morning" I bowed my head back.

"I would love to" Soon after Lady Danbury gathered me to bring me home, as I walked out I passed Anthony. His eyes followed me as I left and he had a strange look on his face, as if he had just lost something he couldn't live without.