4| Safe In His Arms

Matunga, Mumbai

Matunga, Mumbai

"Pramegha? Pramegha? Where are you, madam? We aren't children to play hide and seek!" Anshul felt troubled. It was past midnight, but he saw a worried, tensed Pramegha walk out of her room silently, a serious, pained expression on her face, and Anshul, who was checking few of his important work-related documents noticed that, and he knew it was not anything normal.

Her eyes were scrunched in pain, and he could notice her trembling from afar itself, and as he went looking for her after he winded up his work, he found her nowhere. He couldn't possibly put the emotion he felt in words, he knew he was beyond terrified. What would've happened at such a time that she had to leave her room in such pain.

He called out her name once more, but finding no reply, he decided he will check every nook and corner of the wedding venue, trepidation settling in him as he thought of the most horrendous, bizarre possibilities of Pramegha's safety, and he could not control his thoughts.

Anshul's heart ached for an unknown reason, and he ran towards the backside of the wedding hall, after checking all other spots inside the compound of the wedding venue, finding for any trace of a Pramegha who seemed to have disappeared into thin air.

'Ah, why the heck haven't I followed her immediately when I saw her distraught?' Anshul stomped his foot as worry flushed into him with the speed of a storm, his heart trembling. 'And now I'm so dead worried for whom I met two days ago. Oh, what does such a feeling of adoration do to people!' Muttering to himself, he slid closer to the small fountain that was on the rear side of the hall where people would usually hang out, and his steps slowed down as the sight in front of him stabbed right through his heart, slicing through his soul.

"PRAMEGHA! What is wrong, what happened? Why the hell are you-"

"Shut up! Don't yell, Anshul. Please. Save me. Do not do this to me!" She shot back fiercely, yet helplessly, tears streaming down her face and melding into her skin as she rested her back against the foot of the fountain, clutching herself close.

"Pramegha, what happened, please, tell me, I'll do everything, I-" She shut his mouth with his palm, pulling him by his wrist to the ground, making him fall from his knees to the ground.

"I- I can't take this torture anymore, Anshul. I cannot. This is so painful I cannot explain!" She sobbed as she fell back to her position, tightly clasping her lower stomach as she screamed in pain.

"Pramu, calm, calm down, please. Let me call Maalini Maavshi, or Narendra Uncle, please!" He tried to pull himself away after he noticed her anguish, but her grip on his collar tightened as her red eyes looked him in the eye.

"Are you serious, DON'T YOU DARE. There is a reason I'm here instead of in the room, Anshul, please- I feel like I'm in the embrace of death, I can't bear this!" She sobbed and screamed in pain as she lay across his heart out of the blue, stunning him to blankness. He felt it was impossible to breath, for he felt her pain churn his heart and his body froze, unresponsive as spontaneous tears spurred in his eyes.

"Okay, okay, but why? I don't think it's safe, Pramegha, but please tell me what's hurting you so much, I'll do anything in the world to save you, I CANNOT SEE YOU IN SUCH PAIN!" He blurted out everything as he rested his head against her, his tears running down into her open, disheveled mass of open hair, reaching her face, and joining her tears.

She was crushed into his embrace, she pushed herself against his body, gripping his dark, navy blue shirt in her palm while her other hand pressed against her womb, her face scrunched together, and her face wet with her tears while her forehead had creases due the intensity of the pain that shot through her entire body.

"My back hurts, my stomach hurts, and it feels like there's multiple stabs through my body. I have Polycystic.... syndrome, but also adeno....adenomyosis. I..I rarely get my menstruation, Anshul, but when it....when it.. comes, it's a near death experience due to the extra tissues in my myometrium. For a reason, death would be easier, nothing is helping, not even medicines, please.....I cannot go through this....Aai...Paa...they despise me..." 

He was stunned. And he needed answers. Why would her parents despise her for something like that? Something seemed too unnatural to him. But that wasn't the thing that pained him. For a reason he did not know, her pain threw him into even more pain and he couldn't bear it. It hurt his heart, and it pained him more to see her in such a condition. He couldn't take it.

"Shh, shhh, Pramegha. Just wait, come with me! I might have a hot pack in my bag, Maa uses it sometimes for her knee. That should help you. Come with me!" He cajoled her softly, pushing her hair away from her face as he tried to help her stand, but she couldn't. Her pain was too intense and terrible, and that hurt every single cell of her body, causing her wanting to stay unmoving.

"I'm so sorry...Anshul...I'm being such...a trouble...but I'm....unable to stand...I..."

"Stop it, Pramu. I understand you, I understand your pain! Let me take care!" He patted her head tenderly, and wiped her tears away as he did his own, and slipped one of his hands below her knee, and the other below her back, and slowly pulled her into his arms, lifting her up in his embrace.

His eyes shined with concern as she looked into his irises with her own eyes glazed and damp with tears, before she collapsed into unconsciousness, her grip on his collar still in an iron fist, as she closed her eyes, the warmth from his body seeping into her skin instantly.

She felt safe in his embrace, and nothing else mattered.

—————