|-26-|

Screams erupted throughout the auditorium, echoing off the walls and bouncing into my ears.

My heart caught in my throat as I frantically searched for the exit, shifting my head left and right. It was as if my mind had completely forgotten how to navigate out of this place until I spotted the red highlighted exit sign above the double doors. I made a run for it, but hastily, one by one, the other guests in their fancy gowns and tuxes were tumbling over one another as they pushed and shoved, cramming through the doors like sardines being stuffed into a can.

Instead of fighting through the panicky crowd, I continued scanning the area, opting for another way out. I ran through the auditorium and down a dark hallway. People continued shouting hysterically and running around like a fish out of water, flipping and flopping, trying to escape back to safety.

"Kayla!" I heard someone shout, prompting me to turn my head. 

"Kennedy!" I shouted back, noticing the distressed look on her face, "Are you alright?" People scrammed past her, bumping her on their way out. 

"Come this way!" Kennedy motioned for me. 

My mouth curved into a frown. It would be impossible for me to make my way through the growing crowd. People bogged down the hallway as if it were a stalled production line.

I shook my head, "I can't! I'm going to find another way out!" 

Kennedy appeared torn by my decision. Her eyes hung low like those of a puppy. She turned away from me and continued down her initial path.

I navigated my way down the narrow hall as if it were some sort of maze. A few individuals bumped into me as I desperately tried to find another way out.

As I ran opposite of the crowd, I found myself in the back of the auditorium. Frantic, I huffed and puffed, trying to gain my composure, and that's when I saw a door. My eyes latched onto it as if it were a magical point of safety. Without hesitation, I reached out, twisting the doorknob. Peeking inside, I was met with darkness. I hesitated for a second, then I stepped inside and closed the door behind me, muffling the screams outside.

An eerie chill came over me, and I shivered.

I placed my hands on the wall, desperately feeling for a light switch. Once I found it, I flipped it on. The room flooded with bright lights, causing me to squint my eyes against the harsh beams.

A sudden bang revarated through the air, and my eyes widened. I frantically scanned the room, but saw nothing out of the ordinary.

That's when a tall, dark figure took a menacing step toward me. My heart jumped and chills ran down my spine.

I took a step backward, then another.

"Help!" I screamed as I scooted by body between two desks. Frantically I searched the room for anything I could use as a weapon. I spotted the handle of a broom so I swiftly picked it up, holding in my hand as if were a pitchfork. Holding it out in front of me, I tried to deter the man. Though it didn't seem to phase him in the slightest. He continued toward me, wrapped in a tightly fit black jacket, black jeans and a face covered with a black ski mask.

My breathing intensified. Sweat beads dripped from my forehead. The wooden handle of the broom began slip out of my hands, loosening my grip.

He drew closer. I hastily threw the broom at him and ran toward the window where I lifted the window pane and quickly jumped up, placing my bottom on the window sill. I swiveled and slipped my legs through.

Then I saw him, marching angrily toward me.

"Shit!"

I slipped my legs through and jumped out.