Prologue

The rain splattered against my windshield like a smashed mosquito that I had swatted with an open hand. I turned the volume of my radio up, ignoring the sounds of the nerve-rattling rain and the pounding thunder that haunted California today as I listened to the Crime Ladies begin their intro.

"Good evening, ladies and gents! Welcome to the Crime Ladies Podcast, where we discuss the most heinous murders you'll ever hear of! I'm your host, Monique, and alongside me is your girl Lauren. Thanks for tuning in!"

In the middle of the Podcast, a Huggies commercial plays out of my speakers. How strange, a diaper commercial in the middle of a crime podcast? I shrugged.

Beats me!

But then again, given the title Crime Ladies Podcast, most of their listeners were probably women. And I could imagine a good percentage of them were bored stay-at-home mothers with small pukey children running around in diapers. It's a good marketing strategy. Who could argue with that?

The podcast was probably their outlet. It was my outlet, too, even though I wasn't a bored stay-at-home mom but an overworked and broke college student. Now, where's the commercial for the girl from a demographic like mine? You know, the burnt-out, broke college girl.

I sighed, staring out at the wet-drenched road ahead of me.

I reached down and twisted the black knob of my stereo in my 1991 beat-up sedan, turning the volume up higher as the Crime Ladies came back onto the air.

"Welcome back! I'm Lauren, and I'm here to talk to you about today's story. This story will fill you with such disgust and fear and is guaranteed to have chills run up and down your spine. You'll be checking your closets, behind doors, and underneath your beds- that's how terrifying this episode will be. You might even have gory nightmares, so here's a word of caution! Nothing is off limits- we discuss everything deadly, sadistic, and depraved in great detail. Specifics. We don't hold back anything. If you can't handle this, please tune out now! Don't say I didn't warn ya!

Haunting tunes vibrated through the speakers, reminding me of a mash-up between Friday the 13th and Halloween movie sounds, specifically during the parts when the killer was chasing his prey.

Dun dun dun da duh

I tried to focus on the road ahead, but the rain poured harder, beating against my windshield like a madman determined to get his way. And the sky was so dark, it blinded me.

I moved my hand beneath the steering wheel, twisting my windshield wipers up to the next level. The blades swiped faster, back and forth against my windshield, splashing and spitting out the rain with each swipe.

Suddenly, a shadowy figure appeared before me- a man in a blue windbreaker and blue jeans jumped out into the road right in front of my car. I swiftly moved my foot off the accelerator and slammed it down on the brake. My car swerved as it collided with the man. The force of the blow threw me into my steering wheel, nearly crushing my ribs.

I gasped, and my eyes widened.

I nearly died!

The thought causes my heart to gallop faster than a cheetah and I feel the blood draining out of my face.

"Oh, My God! What have I done?!"

I hurriedly stepped outside of my vehicle. The wind slammed into me, striking my face, and the heavy rain slapped me with its wet drops.

I scrambled through the storm, pulling the hood of my jacket over my head while I ran into the street. It wasn't only storming out, but it was dark and gloomy. To make matters worse, the street lights were dim.

My legs felt like jello as if they were going to give out any moment while I ran toward the man.

The wind howled as it strolled by my ears. Goosebumps rode down my arms.

The rain continued to pour down relentlessly. It felt like rocks were being thrown down from the sky.

I spotted the man. He was laid flat out in the middle of the street. I scanned my surroundings, seeing if anybody else was around to help us, but all I saw was a dark, empty elementary school and a block full of single-family homes. The people who lived in those homes were probably fast asleep, given it was 1:15 AM in the morning. I normally wasn't out that late, but I had just left my sorority sister Serena's house, and I was on my way home.

The man's head turned slightly toward me, startling me, and I jumped. Chills ran down my spine. If I were a cat, my fur would be standing on its end right about now.

I peered down, but I couldn't see his full face, just the profile of it. He had a scruffy brown beard and a stubbed nose. His eyebrows are a bushy reddish-brown. Red drops of blood trickled down his face and dripped onto the pavement, melting away into the rain.

"Sir?" I called out as I tried to zip my jacket up, but the dam zipper was broken, so I pulled the sides of my jacket together, covering up my abdomen and my chest.

"Sir?!" I called louder, blinking my eyes as the raindrops fell rapidly onto my face, sliding down my eyelashes.

The man groaned.

He's alive!

"Sir, are you okay?" I leaned closer, examining his face. His right eye was covered with a black patch, just like that of a pirate. His cheek was marked with a deeply embedded scar that didn't heal properly, so a part of his skin bulged out.

I gasped, and my mouth hung agape in shock. I couldn't believe it.

It's him! He's the killer they discussed on the last episode of the Crime Ladies Podcast.

The man sat up straight, and his hostile gaze met my eyes. A chill ran down my spine as he suddenly let out a burly laugh that sent shivers through my body.

I was frozen with fear, unable to move or speak.

"You're next!" He smirked.

***HOW DID YOU LIKE THIS PROLOGUE??!**** THANKS FOR READING!! AND PLEASE VOTE!!