|-7-|

Gasping for air, I violently jerked my head from side to side, desperately trying to remove the plastic bag that had been placed over my head. In a frenzied panic, I balled my hand up into a fist and struck the madwoman, what felt like her face. And suddenly, a pained woman's voice immediately cried out. The bag tightened its grip.

"Let me go!" I yelled through the suffocating plastic. 

They bound my hands behind my back and forcefully pulled me away. My heart raced faster than a cheetah hunting a deer. Bullets of sweat shot through my pores, dripping down my face. I felt lightheaded like I was on the verge of fainting.

With the push of two hands, I was forcibly shoved into a car. The door slammed shut behind me.

"Please!" I pleaded. My senses were in utter disarray as I was oblivious to the events unfolding around me. All that occupied my thoughts was the desire to escape- anyway and anyhow.

"You won't be going anywhere!" warned a young woman's voice.

Amidst the chaos, unsettling giggles of women reverated through the air. Their depraved amusement sounded more like an eerie symphony symbolic of a 1970s horror movie.

What a bunch of psychopaths!

The woman's warm breath touched the surface of my face, specifically my cheek, as she pressed her head against mine. A surge of terror coursed through my veins. 

At that very moment, I decided to act on pure instinct, so I jerked my head back, and then, in desperation, I headbutted her.

A blood-curdling scream ripped through the night, echoing into my ears.

"She's bleeding!" Another young woman's voice quivered with panic. "Oh My God, she fainted!"

"We have to get her to the ER ASAP!" Patricia's voice announced with frantic urgency.

"Patricia?!" I cried out in agonizing disappointment, shocked to hear her voice.

In an instant, someone ripped the suffocating bag off my head.

"This was meant to be your initiation into our sorority!" Patricia's eyebrows furrowed in anger. "But you've ruined it! Just look at what you've done to Brianna!"

"I'm so- sorry, guys." I stammered apologetically. "How was I supposed to know you weren't the serial killer on the loose? This is no way to induct anyone into anything during these horrific times!"

"Stop being a coward." Patricia retorted, her foot pressing harder on the gas pedal as she raced to get Brianna to the ER. "Every one of us went through this exact initiation."

***

The fraternity party was a big flop, being that I was falsely kidnapped under false pretenses, all to be initiated into a sorority. I didn't realize sororitys sucked so bad. However, this didn't stop my desire to join, as I knew the underlying reason why I had to get in. I wanted to develop a closer friendship with Patricia so I could one day get in good with the Crime Ladies Podcast because Monique, one half of the Crime Ladies, was Patricia's sister.

We all sat in the ER waiting room that night, hoping that Brianna's injuries weren't too bad and she would fully awaken into consciousness. The television in the room was mounted to the top of the wall and played out an irritating game show. Every few minutes, the laughs from the audience blared out into the waiting room. And laughing was the last thing any of us wanted to hear.

The doctor who was tending to Brianna asked to speak with me. His tall, thin, and lanky frame strolled toward me as I sat in the gray chair in the ER waiting room.

"Hi, you must be Kayla?" He gave a half-smile, but his eyes revealed a contempt toward me that I could fully sense.

"Yes, I'm Kayla," I replied nervously.

"So, Kayla, tell me what happened when you headbutted Brianna?" His gaze bore into me as he sat across from me, waiting for my answer.

"I didn't know it was Brianna," I offered defensively. Blinking my eyes, I tried to recall the entire situation. "Here's what happened."

I explained to the doctor how everything went down. From the Fraternity party all the way up until I unknowingly headbutted Brianna, thinking it was the serial killer on the loose or some other deranged madman, I had no other choice but to do what I did.

"And when one of the sorority sisters tore the bag off my head, that's when it came crashing down on me- I was being initiated," I explained.

The doctor nodded and scribbled down notes as I verbally replayed the scenario.

"Kayla, I'm sorry to be the one to tell you this, but we have alerted the police and they'll be down to talk with you as well." He explained.

"Are they going to arrest me?" I asked, fear lacing my voice.

The doctor gazed down at the linoleum floor. "I'm not sure. I can't say. I'm sorry." He then stood up and walked away, leaving me in sheer terror. The thought of potentially being put into handcuffs and dragged away repeatedly played in my head.

Lorena came and sat down next to me. A frown was drawn across her face.

"I know you didn't mean to hurt Brianna." She said apologetically. "I was telling the girls we have to rethink our sorority initiation. You're right. It wasn't fair to you, especially with a serial killer on the loose."

I nodded. "That's a great idea!" I smiled as I gazed into Lorena's eyes. "I"m glad you're rethinking it."

While Lorena and I continued our conversation, we heard the sound of the heavy double glass doors leading into the ER swinging wide open, admitting two uniformed officers into the hospital. They walked to the nurses's station. The heavyset nurse who sat at the desk pointed her finger directly at me as she spoke with the officers. My heart thumped against my ribcage.

Oh boy! I'm in trouble.

Their gaze followed her indication, and soon, they headed toward me.

"Hi, I'm Officer Jones." the officer introduced himself. "And this is Officer Lopez." He gestured toward his colleague. "Are you Kayla?"

My heart raced, and I could feel a lump forming in my throat as I nodded in confirmation.

"Can we please have a word with you?" Officer Jones inquired with a stern tone.

I swallowed hard, my anxiety mounting. "Sure."