Chapter 14: Frat Party

*Ethan*

'Whose party is this again?" I asked, trying to feign interest as the guys around me joked around as we walked down a hill and snuck onto the campus of a neighboring school. 

"My cousins," said Matt, one of the linebackers on our football team. "He's in charge of the frat here and it's always a good time."

"More like a night you can never remember," joked Nathan. He was our wide-end receiver and had an eerily resemblance to a young Ace Rivera. He was equally as smooth around the ladies.

Climbing up the steps, I took in the giant Greek columns of the building. The party was already in full swing with students leaving and entering, the heavy double doors opening and closing again repeatedly as more bodies piled in and we caught the sound of laughter and blaring 90s music.

The air was thick and smoky inside, packed with so many bodies that it felt like a sauna. Matt led the way and we followed closely behind, drawing a lot of stares. We were still wearing our red and black varsity jackets.

A group of girls passing by giggled as Nathan blew them a kiss before heading up the stairs. Nathan grinned back at us. "I'm going to go for a tour of the place," Matt rolled his eyes. "Use a condom, Nate. We still need you on the team."

Nathan jogged up the stairs laughing while Matt said hi to a few people.

I stood next to Andrew who looked equally as uninterested as I was. Parties weren't his scene either and we bonded quickly over that in our first year. I patted him on the back. 

"I'll grab us some drinks," I said into his ear before heading to the kitchen. He nodded and jerked his thumb over to the living room. He would be the one occupying the couch, on his phone for the rest of the night until Matt and Nathan were ready to leave.

I picked up a beer for Andrew and a Coke for me before almost colliding with a guy mixing a drink. 

"Sorry man didn't see you there." He flashed me a perfect toothpaste smile before looking down at my varsity jacket.

"You play for Michigan?" I nodded. "I'm their quarterback." The jersey made it clear we didn't go here. Which could either be a good thing or a bad thing depending on who you were talking to.

College sports rivalries go far back. Hopefully, this wasn't one of those nights that ended in a brawl outside. I didn't need to get more grass stains on my clothes trying to peel Matt and Nathan off our rivals.

His eyes lit up. "No way, a buddy of mine goes there. What year are you in?"

We made small talk for a bit before he left, raising the pink drink in the air. "Gotta get this to the pretty blonde over there. We've been talking all night." He craned his neck but through the crowd, it was hard to make out who he was gesturing at. Someone by the beer pong table.

"Nice," I said politely, taking a swig of my Coke. He seemed like an okay guy but I was ready to sit next to Andrew and just be an observer for the rest of the night.

"She's a Vassar chick so I hope I get lucky tonight." He said smirking before raising his hand goodbye. Girls who went to Vassar bore the bad reputation for being an easy lay. I didn't say anything, moving through the crowd.

I wandered over to the other side of the living room and handed Andrew his beer, settling beside him on the lumpy couch. 

Matt had already joined in on a strip poker game and Nathan would probably be upstairs for a while. It was going to be a long night.

A couple of girls came up to us for a chat but once they realized Andrew and I had terrible banter they quickly left in search of someone else.

I pulled out my phone trying to find a game to distract myself with before I heard a familiar female voice cut through the music and the noise.

"I said no." The voice was stern and not to be messed with. Followed by a loud smack.

A glass shattered behind me. And someone yelped, trying to step away from the shards. Shit, I stood up trying to look through the crowd of people buzzing around a girl and a guy facing each other. The guy loomed over her looking pissed off. I recognized the face. It was the guy I was talking to a few moments ago. He was holding his cheek looking indignant.

But when I saw who the girl was, all I could see was her. Time froze.

My heart was galloping like crazy as I took her in. She was older now but there was no mistaking who it was.

Jodie.

She breathed heavily as she glared at the guy, her tiny hands still curled up into fists, her stance wide. She wore a hot pink tank top with thin straps and jeans that looked painted on. Her curly hair was longer than before, pulled into a high ponytail and ending around her shoulder blades.

Alarm signals went off in my head. That guy was twice the size of her. I moved through the throng of people before I could even register what my body was doing, trying to get to her in time before she got into harm's way.

There were plenty of witnesses but there was no telling what a guy like that would do once he was publicly humiliated. The thought of him hitting her squeezed my heart like a vise as I moved past sweating bodies eager to see what was going on.

But by the time I reached her she was already gone, storming out the front door. I watched her walk away, her blonde hair swaying behind her.

"Fuck," muttered Dom, holding onto his cheek, his eyes flashing. "What a fucking bitch."

I was never the type of guy to get into fights. Football was a healthy way to work out any aggression. It was a physical sport that left you feeling bruised and battered. 

But the thought of Jodie getting hurt...I had never wanted to punch a guy in the face more in my life. 

I wanted to knock out all of his fake-looking white teeth and make him bleed all over the floor.

"Don't call her that," I said loud enough for him to hear, narrowing my eyes at him. His smile dropped as he took me in.

The whispers picked up in the crowd again as people gathered around hoping to witness a fight. The guy looked around nervously and then behind me. I glanced back. 

Andrew was right behind me with his arms crossed, wearing a stony expression on his face along with a shirtless Matt who glowered back at him.

Three against one. The odds weren't looking good for him. He held up his hands in front of him. "Sorry man, I didn't know you knew her." He looked like he was about to pee his pants. But before we could respond he sprinted out of the room making a mad dash for the front door.

Matt growled behind me. He had switched instantly from being a social butterfly to the beast we normally saw only on the field. He was the type of guy who would have your back no matter what. I clapped my hand against his shoulder, telling him it was okay. He wasn't worth chasing down all over campus.

Andrew went back to his position on the couch before Nathan appeared with a drink in hand and lipstick all over his face.

"So whose face were you about to smash tonight?" He said curiously, as Matt relayed the story to him, peering at me as if he saw me in a whole new light.

I was the most even-tempered guy on the whole team. And usually, the one helping guys sort out their issues with one another in the locker room. He probably wanted to know what could have possibly set off Peacemaker Majors.

I shrugged. "Just some asshole trying to mess with a girl after she told him she wasn't interested."

He nodded in understanding. "I hate guys like that."

Me too, I thought before downing my soda, feeling it burn down my throat.

Was that really her? 

*****************************

Vote and comment below if you want to see another chapter! Sound on if you want to hear the music while you read ;) 

Make sure to follow me on TikTok: violet.sudo for more book content. I'll also be teasing a new story there too!