Chapter 13: College Party

2013

*Jodie*

"Can I get you a drink?" An athletic-looking guy with floppy brown hair looked down at me smiling before giving me the once over. I rolled my eyes inwardly. 

The number of times I've heard that line was becoming absurd. This was why I hated frat parties. Zero creativity. The same faces. A guy named Chad or Jeremy who played x sport and was trying to bang every girl on campus. And even ones that didn't go to their school.

"No thanks," I said curtly but of course, he took that as an invitation to keep going.

"Come on, I'll make you a cranberry vodka," He said, flashing me his pearly whites, leaning his elbows on the kitchen counter. His teeth looked almost too white like he had used one too many teeth whitening strips.

"You're assuming I like cranberry vodkas?" I really shouldn't entertain him but I was in a foul mood and looking to argue with someone. "Well, you do love pink." He said, looking down at me again before staring right at my cleavage. He was tall and used every excuse to look down at my shirt. I cleared my throat, raising two fingers. Eyes up here.

I was clad in a pink tank top and jeans. Nails done. I looked good. I watched an unhealthy amount of makeup tutorials on YouTube after Sam left for art school. I practically perfected the cat eye.

"I don't drink," I said before turning away and heading over to the living room. Over there my roommate Lisa was playing beer pong with a couple of guys. "Why's that?" He said behind me. I groaned inwardly. It was like trying to get rid of a mosquito.

"Because I prefer being sober. I don't need to drink to have a good time."

He muttered something under his breath. "What was that?" I demanded, eyes flashing.

He did not just say what I thought he said.

"You just seem a little uptight that's all. Thought it might loosen you up." his eyes lingered on my chest again and made their way down my legs. "I'm Dom by the way. If you're down to have a good time we can always head upstairs. My roommate's gone for the weekend."

Fuck my life. Why did Lisa like frat parties so much? And why did I let her drag me to another one despite knowing how much I hated them? And we had to take a bus to get here. To go to a different school with the same loser guys who just wanted to get into your pants so they could brag to all their friends.

Because she's the only person you hang out with at school, my thoughts responded. Despite trying to expand my social circle, the girls on my floor were still chilly and polite. I didn't know how to bond with people. Somehow I missed that important lesson that everybody else seemed to innately know. While others had made fast friends during frosh week I still hadn't met anyone I clicked with. Except Lisa. But we were roomies and had to hang with each other by default.

"Ya I'm good," I shot back breezily before heading straight for my roommate who was giggling with Lance, the track star at this school and her current situationship. They looked cozy but I didn't care.

"Are you ready to go?" I said while she batted her eyelashes at him. She finally tore her gaze away from his bicep to look at me. "Maybe in ten minutes?" She said, looking up at me. Although ten minutes to Lisa was never ten minutes.

"OK, well I'll see you later then."

"You're leaving already?" She looked genuinely disappointed. We had spent hours getting ready together. "It's not really my scene."

Lance leaned over and draped his arm lazily over her. "Tell your roomie to lighten up and play some beer pong with us."

I shook my head. No way. I just wanted to get out of here and watch a movie in bed. That was probably the lamest thing you could do on a Friday night but I didn't care. I was sick of the loud pulsating music and drunk people's elbows knocking into me.

"Ya why don't you stay a bit longer?" I twisted around and saw Dom staring back at me. He handed me a cup, looking proud of himself. Cranberry vodka. This guy just wouldn't let up.

Lisa snatched it instead. "Thanks, Dom!" She chirped. "Jodie doesn't drink so I'll take this one."

"What a buzz kill," Lance muttered under his breath before kissing Lisa's exposed shoulder. I felt my annoyance grow. I was sick of seeing everyone get shit-faced. They had no idea what I'd seen. But no one in this room did. Drinking for them was fun, exciting, a way to rebel. They weren't exposed to the dark side yet. They haven't seen how it can be an addiction and destroy you.

"How about we get out of here instead?" said Dom, wrapping his arms around my waist. His mouth whispered into my ear, "I'd rather be alone with you in my bed than be here." He said his beer breath lingering all over my exposed skin. His large hands dropped down to cup my ass.

That did it. I snapped.

Without warning, because he didn't deserve it, I slugged him hard across the face. The way Landon taught me too. My thumb tucked inside my fist so I didn't end up breaking my fingers.

Weak points: eyes, nose, throat. But I'll settle for the cheek since I didn't want him to spend the night in the hospital. For that, he should be grateful.

"I said no." I breathed out heavily, feeling the adrenaline course through me. He was lucky I wasn't wearing any rings today.

His head snapped back in shock, his eyes glossy before they turned dark and furious. "What the fuck, you bruised my cheek!" He lunged for me but I quickly kicked him in the balls, slamming my wedge sandals between his legs. He let out a loud howl, attracting the attention of the people around us laughing behind their red cups and taking pictures on their cameras.

"Oh my god, Jodie no!" Lisa's eyes were bugging out and Lance wore an expression of shock and amusement. He whipped out his phone, laughing loudly at his friend's misfortune.

I left ignoring his insults but not before I caught sight of a glimpse of a pair of turquoise eyes in the crowd looking back at me. 

***************************************

Make sure to vote and comment! Next chapter will be in Ethan's POV :)