PART FORTY-ONE: WAVE

January 15, 2008, Tuesday

Living these couple weeks with them is another blessing to have. It must have slipped out of our minds but Harry's birthday happens tomorrow. I stand up from the living room as Harry is gone for his shift in their shop. Too bad but too great to plan for his 23rd birthday.

Everyone was on the carpet sitting down as I called them to gather. Before sitting down, Fiona mentioned, "We know it's Harry's birthday."

"That's great. How come no one has plans for him?"

"That's why we're here, baby," Wayne responded. "Do what we did last time."

"You mean, calling his girlfriend. We don't even have any information about her."

"What do you mean by "We?" Jade added, "Her name is Sara and she has visited the hospital."

Wayne leans forward, "Did she get pregnant then?"

"Of course not. She wanted me to check up on her father," she stated, looking at him in disbelief.

Wayne exclaimed, "Cancer."

"Wayne, stop," Fiona said. "This isn't the time."

"Diabetes and she needed a prescription," Jade replied.

I looked confused for a second, "Wait. How did she know who you are?"

"Technically, Harry is a true one for mentioning us to Sara. She practically knows a lot about us. Not from sight, but by descriptions."

"He is truly the one in a relationship. I admit," Wayne said.

Jade added, "That's why I'm giving you the number, Rode."

"I already got the hang of it," after a few types. "Press send and there we go. A text booming already that says—," they cut me off.

Fiona snatched my phone, "I will join you, guys. See you tomorrow." She texted her and passed me my phone, "I texted her if she knows what Harry likes. It's the best way."

"She answered oceans," I said.

"That's perfect. I have just the thing," Wayne suggested. "What if we," The conversation concluded as we prepared for Harry's arrival. Every party should have a surprise.

"I'll bake a chocolate cake for him as he's sleeping. He won't notice but check on him for some time," Fiona whispered when Harry fled the room.

"We can't just pretend we're sneaking through his room," Jade suggested as we walked creepily up the stairs. "Just stand by here," she said to the both of us.

"We'll be standing till nighttime, won't we?"

"That depends but sure," Wayne said as we sat down.

***

January 16, 2008, Wednesday

The day of Harry's special day. We didn't know that Wayne and Fiona would be incredible in this. I felt that me and Jade were just moral support. No one's working but partying.

Fiona had the baked cake in her hands as we went up to his room. We opened the door and sang Happy Birthday to Harry who was peacefully sleeping.

"You didn't have to," he giggled. He rose in his bed, "Thank you."

"Blow the candles before my arms become sore," Fiona said.

"Oh sure," he said.

"Don't. Let her suffer," Wayne scoffed.

Jade kicked him and started to chase him around with a fist, "I'll let you suffer."

I was standing, and laughing as Harry finished blowing his cake, "The cake isn't finished yet. You know the drill."

Everyone placed chocolate frosting on each other's faces. I remembered hiding behind the door but Harry spotted me. "You're not getting out of this, Rode," Harry said.

"Stop, stop. Hahaha. I reek of chocolate."

Jade blindfolded him, "We're going on a ride so behave."

"I'm not a kid but whatever it is," Harry told her.

We got up to the car and drove to the hills. The fastest way to get to a cliff. On the other side, I am messaging Sara on Harry's phone. Thanks to Wayne's teaching skills. The car stopped and we saw Sara being first. The blindfolded Harry was curious about what was happening. Sara holds his hands and walks across the cliff. They stopped as they reached the end.

He asked, "Why am I hearing waves?"

We took off his blindfold and saw that he was standing on a cliff, "Do you want me to die or what?"

He turned around and Sara pushed him off the cliff, "Sorry, Babe." A scream pulled out of him.

"I didn't know he could scream so loud."

"Neither do I," Sara said to us as we laughed.

All of us jumped at the same time towards the waves. We surprised Harry with the ocean.