ONE

Ariana Grande - Focus

"Olivia!" A deep voice shouted, causing Amia to come to a halt. The sheer embarrassment she felt from his loud and abnoxious voice was unbearable, and like any other day, she saw him, Amia wanted to skin him alive. He finally caught up to her, his breath uneven from running up to her. Declan wanted to annoy her. He was only a few meters away from her when he shouted. "Can you stop calling me Olivia? You know I hate that name and stop shouting." She complained, a shit eating grin making his way to his attractive face. "And that's why I'm going to continue to call you that. By the way, can you stop walking away from me after every mission?" He started, finally catching his breath from running just two meters.

"You can't tell why I don't want to be seen near you?" Amia mumbled under her breath. He ran his fingers through his already disheveled hair, causing it to look more messy and unkept. "And we're two hours away from that place. We don't need to see each other every time after every mission." She explained further, starting to walk again after his breath became even. Annoyance was visible in his eyes when she started walking. His legs were probably tired, but she didn't have any energy to care. He reluctantly walked beside her while cursing his friend out in his head. Declan's apartment was two blocks away. There were little to no people on the streets. He hated it when she was the one dropping him off at home. He said it was dangerous to walk alone even though he knew perfectly well that Amia could defend herself.

"Are you going to read that fantasy romance novel?" He asked out of the blue, making her grin. She was planning to, and it was in her small backpack. She hadn't finished it yet, and there were only nine chapters until she reached the end of the novel. Her reading time had been cut short due to the mission. Her mind was eager to return to it. She had attempted to read it on the trip to San Diego but was unable to focus. Now that the mission was over, her body appeared to relax. "Yeah, I'll drop you off and read it." Her voice was filled with genuine excitement, Declan nudged her shoulder and laughed loudly (might I add). He was happy that his friend was able to find enjoyment in something. The moonlight illuminated on his face, enhancing his blue eyes. A burst of wind blew through, pushing the blonde hairs from his forehead. He had a sharp jawline and freckles on his nose, a few on his cheeks. A boyish charm, to be exact, he had an innocent face, making it easy for him to make lots of friends. Goosebumps covered her entire body when she felt a chilly, cold breeze blow through her, Amia loved the feeling.

"One might think you're just an innocent woman who reads novels rather than an assassin." He pointed it out, making her hit his shoulder. "Isn't that the point?" She pinched his ear, making him whine. Declan was her childhood friend and her friend since they met at the orphanage. Two orphans with no one but one another. They were joined at the hip and adopted by the two men who were best friends. They went to the same middle school, high school, and college, and eventually got the same job. However, as they grew older, we were less inseparable. They were assassins who killed people for a living. It wasn't their choice. It was our guardian's choice. The reason why they wanted to adopt them was because they were unwanted. They had no family, no friends, no one but each other. All said and done, they found it thrilling, rather a little fun.

"If you don't walk away on our next mission, I'll buy you a new novel." He stated truthfully when they were in front of his apartment building, and she gasped excitedly. "Really?! Not going to spend money on alcohol and weed?" Her question caused him to snarl, and she chuckled loudly for the first time since the mission. He shooed her away with his hands, and she gave him a smile he wanted since the mission. Like any other Friday, she patted his shoulders before walking away. "Bye, Am!" He yelled when she was a few meters away from him, not caring if he woke his neighbors up and she waved goodbye. Declan had already bought a novel for his friend. It was on the kitchen counter in his apartment. Unbeknownst to Declan, just a few seconds later, he wished he had walked her home instead. Amia slid her backpack from her shoulders and pulled out "The Never Ending Love" based on the title. Anyone could tell that it was a cliché romance fantasy novel. The bookmark stopped at chapter forty seven, where the female lead and the male lead finally reunited after being apart.