【 Episode 21 - Key 】

= Recap =

With the game started, Scarlett was immediately met with a fierce leopard. As Izzie eventually was brought to the leopard, their behavior immediately confirmed the bunny's speculations. The pair was then found by Nova, who unfortunately eliminated Izzie. While the fox managed to escape, her anxiety continued to pursue her...

"So, how did the Shieldsurf match go today Tangerfox?"

Giggling could be heard.

"I heard you flopped. What a shame..."

"Sigh, it's no wonder. The player she was up against had intrinsic powers possessed one in a thousand years... if only she has them too—"

The dinner table thundered. A fox was standing, her fists clenched on the table. "You all just don't get it. I've tried so hard to prove myself..."

▇▇▇▇'s gaze flickered with anger. "Scarlett Tangerfox, you sit down this instant! You play by our rules once you enter this household."

"So what if I don't have intrinsic powers? Does that make me worse than everybody else?!"

"If it weren't for my loving daughters, you'd still be rotting outside in the streets!"

Scarlett gritted her teeth. She wanted to leave this cursed place. She wanted that more than anything.

"I don't need any of you. I don't need anyone!"

She knew well that it was a lie. It was exactly what she needed the most— a person who would understand her troubles, and would accept her for who she was. Never has she thought, the way towards that goal could be so... suffocating.

In a blaze of frustration, the fox stormed out of the front door, grabbing her wooden shield with her as she passed the doorway. She turned towards the broken fences, ran past the 'danger' sign, and into the depths of the forest. She heard nobody call her back.

She finally slowed after seemingly minutes of unending running.

Aside from her heavy breathing, all seems to be silent, yet this silence calmed her mind. Being away from that little house alone was fascinating, and she was going to cherish this silence, amidst the chaos in her life.

Strong scents of ashes and dust.

In the distance, Scarlett thought she could see smoke, extending from behind the tall trees and into the starlit sky.

However, from here and beyond is the land of LeopardRace. A few more steps, and she would risk being caught by those fast and dangerous predators.

All of a sudden, a gigantic shadow loomed over the small fox. Scarlett turned around, only to be welcomed by a black monster, its eyes emitting red light as it looked at her. The shape of the creature was unclear, but she could tell it was definitely not a leopard. Long and spiky shapes on its sides resemble that of feathers of a wing.

Scarlett glanced down at the shield gripped firmly by her hand. Rage welling up within her, her brows furrowed. She flung the shield up unyieldingly in front of herself, and towards the enormous black silhouette.

With just one strike from the monster, Scarlett, along with her battered wooden shield, should be smashed to pieces. But Scarlett was not afraid.

A high-pitched and furious battle cry split through the air. This is the one last chance she will seize to prove that she will fight for herself, for her dignity— even without the intrinsic powers others so dearly hold.

"Scarlett? You okay?"

Scarlett blinked as a whisper brought her back from her recollections. Sounds of malfunctioned ceiling lights rang in the ambience. She was sitting in a train which was slightly tilted due to its derailment. Ren crouched beside her with a concerned scowl.