14 - Drecca

He and Mara gather things for a summoning ritual, and as soon as they have set up the circle, Mara tells him to sit in the middle of it. Confused, Drecca looks at her, but she points to the circle, not speaking. He sighs and obeys.

Drecca sits in the center of the circle, and Mara paces around him in a wide arc. And then, she lights each of the candles, which flicker bright. Drecca looks at her, and her gold eyes won't meet his.

"Mara," he says. "What is this?"

"I am summoning someone who can help you save Hayley. Why?"

"Because you won't even look at me," he says. "Why is that? What is happening?"

"I am going to summon a being from Death's realm," she says. "There is no telling who or what it will be. So you must be ready for anything, okay?"

Drecca sets his jaw and nods. She continues her work, and once all of the candles are lit, she steps back and chants in an old, demonic language he isn't sure how to decipher. When Mara finishes, she sits on the floor, her shoulders slumped forward. She bows her head, her long, red hair a sheet blocking his view of her face.

Drecca is about to rise to check on her, but she cries out. "No, stop! Stay in the circle, Drecca!"

He nods and remains still in the circle, watching as the air trembles, and the smoke from the candles grows thicker and darker. He stares, his eyes widening as he watches a figure take shape in the smoke. The figure materializes, and Drecca just stares up at them.

Drecca looks at the figure as they step forward. His chest hurts, his bones throb, and Drecca sighs shakily in the pain. The figure leans down, kneeling before him. They rest a smoky hand on his shoulder.

"Drecca, Prince of Demons, it is time to see the truth."

There's a flash of light, and Drecca is falling. He tries to manifest his wings, but nothing happens. He screams as the world shifts and swirls all around him. Drecca suddenly slams into a swirling mass of energy, a kaleidoscope of lights that burn his soul.

Drecca is suddenly slammed into the ground, and, in his arms, is Hayley. She looks up at him, her purple eyes teary and shimmering. She reaches a shaking hand up, touching his jaw. He smiles, kissing her hand. Drecca gently pulls her closer. She is bleeding, he sees it now, and smells the hot tang of her blood covering his hands.

A kaleidoscope of shimmering energy swirls around him and Hayley both, and she sobs. "Drecca...."

"Shh," he whispers. "Don't speak. I ... I love you."

She smiles.

And turns to ash in his arms.

Drecca screams, and then, he is back in the circle. And that smoky figure is still there, leaning back and not touching him anymore. He stares at them.

"What the fuck was that?" Drecca demands.

"You need to find her," says the smoky figure. "You can save her and Aldrea both. Fuse your life essences together, make yourselves whole. You are not just two separate entities any longer. No, you two must be linked. A soul is cleaved in half at some point in time, and so, it must be healed. You two are halves of a soul. Heal her and Aldrea with your love. Admit who you two are. And then, and only then, will you two be at peace...."

The smoky figure fades away, and the candles go out.

Drecca looks at Mara as she raises her head.

"I think I know what to do."