Chapter 21

I.N and I sit awkwardly at the dinner table, seated across from each other. We avoid making eye contact, both attempting to push aside the recent event from our minds. I feel uneasy as I stare down at my plate, shifting uncomfortably in my seat.

"You guys won't believe what happened!" Hyunjin exclaims amidst the chaos of the others, taking a seat as well. His mischievous smile is unmistakable.

The room falls silent, all chatter coming to an abrupt halt as everyone turns their attention to Hyunjin. "What's up?" Felix queries.

Initially calm, I feel a sudden gasp escape me. He's about to reveal the misunderstanding to everyone. In Hyunjin's view, it probably seemed like I.N and I were exceptionally close and friendly...but that's far from the truth.

Hyunjin chuckles playfully, glancing around the room. "The thing is-" His smile fades instantly as he meets I.N's intense gaze, causing him to gulp, pausing mid-sentence due to the vicious glare. An uneasy silence fills the air.

"Well?" Han prompts, confused by the sudden halt in speaking.

Hyunjin slowly averts his gaze away from I.N, masking his nerves with a slight cough. He stares blankly ahead, his expression turning neutral. "I broke the AC today." With that admission, he settles into his seat among the ensuing silence, the scrape of his chair creating a slight noise as he looks back up, addressing everyone. "That is all."

Bewildered confusion lingers around the group as Hyunjin begins to eat, leaving them stunned and trying to make sense of what just happened. Finally, Minho breaks the silence.

"Wait, that was you?"

All eyes turn to Minho as he rises from his seat. "I was wondering why it wasn't working!"

Hyunjin avoids eye contact, shifting his stare uncomfortably around the room like he normally does.

"Do you realize how much that's going to cost?" Minho's tone is filled with distress, a moment of tension hanging in the air until Changbin interjects awkwardly. "Dude, did you forget that you're filthy rich?"

Minho locks eyes with Hyunjin, maintaining the same serious demeanor. "That, I did." With that, he settles back into his seat, resuming his meal.

Initially, I would have suspected Hyunjin of making up the story just to distract attention, but as I study his expression, it becomes evident that he's telling the truth. It seems he had intended to keep it under wraps, slipping away unnoticed until Minho foots the bill for repairs, but circumstances (I.N's intense gaze) compelled him to come clean.

"How did you even manage to break it?" Felix questions, his tone laced with curiosity as he takes a bite of his food.

All eyes focus on Hyunjin, and he realizes there's no avoiding the question. His gaze flits to Chris and then back to Felix. Could Chris be entangled in this too? It feels like a small mystery unraveling before us.

"Why look at me?!" Chris retorts, irritation evident in his voice, tinged with a hint of betrayal. "You're the one who caused the damage!" He speaks as though he were present during the incident. Did he witness Hyunjin breaking the AC?

"And who was the one who forced me to haul those sticks, huh?!" Hyunjin shoots back, rising from his seat once more, his hands slamming onto the table. "I was perfectly fine just minding my own business!"

"Wait. Are you talking about the sticks that needed to be moved from the front yard to the back yard?" Minho interjects, his confusion clear, before fixing a glare on Chris. "How did those sticks end up inside the mansion?"

"Don't pin it on me." Chris scoffs, rolling his eyes as he redirects his stare to Hyunjin. "This guy right here was feeling lazy and thought it was brilliant to take a shortcut instead of going around the corner outside."