Chapter 22

𝕾𝖔𝖓𝖌 𝕿𝖎𝖙𝖑𝖊: 𝕲𝖗𝖊𝖊𝖉𝖞 𝖇𝖞 𝕿𝖆𝖙𝖊 𝕸𝖈𝕽𝖆𝖊 ❣️

***

💓💓💓

Viona's POV

Days passed, and I felt I lost something. I felt something seemed a little off after waking and seeing Klein worried. Was it because of a nightmare? Or a dream? I don't know; I can't even remember. But there's one thing I am certain not to have.

My hands would shake whenever Klein was near. I felt a little cold around him, and although I tried to shake some of those thoughts off, I couldn't help feeling breathless whenever he was around.

Right now, when I look at the stars above, I can count the days that have passed and the remaining days until we return to the capital. I knew that if I had to step inside my room, these unexplainable feelings would invade me again.

After that incident, I couldn't sleep for nights. I counted sheep and numbers until I could sleep, but it would take hours or the middle of the night to close myself to dreamland.

One, two, and three steps were all it took until my hands touched an unfamiliar black envelope on the top of my desk. I tried opening it, but it wouldn't work even if I tried tearing it apart.

The stamp seemed unfamiliar; it wasn't a seal I could recognize from the nobilities. The flower with five petals might have been a clue. I tried to remember the books I read; perhaps I could recall this, but nothing came to mind.

Since returning to the past and reliving my second life, I felt strange. I shouldn't have gone back because magic wasn't real; that's what the empire taught us.

Despite the nobles' status, no one had the powers of a wizard or anything.

I knew that.

I read that.

I heard that.

And yet, I returned before my execution.

I got to meet Klein, the one who betrayed me.

I got to meet my family, who were once alive and warm.

I got to meet different people, and this time I took my chance at change, beginning with a leap of faith with Vaxius, a man I never thought to have a more complicated life than I have.

Sighing because I couldn't do anything with this envelope or even burn it, I placed it on the desk and went to bed. Perhaps in my dream, the envelope would be clear like a day, like the creator who never revealed its face when it returned me here.

For now, I'll have to take chances that magic might have existed, because if not, why am I here right now?

***

"Viona, I'm sorry I can't help you with what you're doing now," Klein spoke, and I could sense the waviness of his voice, which sounded like a whisper. I laughed because he's been like this ever since yesterday.

Of course, who wouldn't when Flora and I would cook, do some laundry together, and even garden? I might even see how Klein's ego would crash having him do those things or see me doing those things.

Even if he didn't want me to, I would insist because he knew me so well.

"As you always do, but later this evening, please arrive home earlier; I have to tell you something," I said.

I gazed at him. I saw his eyes flicker until he smiled.

"Of course, just what my best friend asked me to do," he said, bowing like a prince to this princess. I chuckled for a while until his presence faded.