12, bows made of ribbon

❝blood on my shirt, rose in my handyou're looking at me like you don't know who I amblood on my shirt, heart in my handstill beating❞

you're looking at me like you don't know who I am
blood on my shirt, heart in my hand
still beating❞

-teeth, 5 seconds of summer

chapter twelve, BOWS MADE OF RIBBON

 The party droned on as Talia Anderson tried her hardest to keep her mind off of a certain messy-haired brunette pogue boy who invaded her every thought. Why did she care?

"Tal?"

"Hm?" The boy across from the table broke the girl from her absentminded distraction, pulling her gaze away from the empty glass in front of her.

"I asked if you wanted another plate" Matteo looked at the girl with confusion and slight concern. She had been acting off the entire brunch.

"Uh, no, I'm good" Talia forced a smile, unconvincing at best, and shook her head. "thanks though" The girl added as he stood, watching as he walked towards another table. She didn't know what was wrong with her.

Why had her mind been so occupied by John B? Why was she so annoyed that he thought she'd betrayed the pogues? Why couldn't she focus on anything else?

Talia pushed her hands to her face, sinking further in her seat and trying to force her mind to stay on any other topic for even a few seconds.

It was offensive that the boy thought so little of her. And it was offensive that his first thought was that she would tell some kook.

Oh for fuck sake. Talia groaned quietly before clenching her fists. Anything else, just think of anything fucking else.

"Thomas, leaving so early?" Talia heard her mother's voice and let her mind be occupied by that instead.

"I've got to go pick up the Routledge kid" Deputy Thomas spoke and Talia's brows furrowed, leaning back in her seat slightly to hear them better.

"Oh, great, what did he do now?" It was as if it was juicy gossip and Thomas laughed.

"A DCS agent's going to pick him up, need to take him to the mainland" Talia's stomach turned.

"Finally, that kid's been up to all sorts of trouble with his father dead. Maybe that'll sort him out. Good luck" Thomas laughed at Laurel's words before excusing himself.

A pit in Talia's stomach formed, the information she currently had was driving her mind wild. Should she warn him? Should she go help? No. No, that boy did not need her help. Besides, he didn't deserve her help. Not when he had been such an asshole to her. She wasn't going.

But-

No. She thought, firm on her decision. Her eyes found Matteo, walking back towards their table with a newly filled plate. This would be her distraction, he'd keep her mind off of the pogue boy and everything would be fine. It's not like she was obligated to help.