07, the return of the compass

❝oh, i'm just a girl, take a good look at mejust your typical prototypeoh, i've had it up to hereoh, am i making myself clear?❞

just your typical prototype
oh, i've had it up to here
oh, am i making myself clear?❞

-just a girl, no doubt

chapter seven, THE RETURN OF THE COMPASS

 The girl was fast asleep, the alcohol in her system lulling her like a parent singing their child a lullaby. Except Talia Anderson never heard a sickeningly sweet tune sung from a parent before, she was never coddled.

"the car's almost here, do you have everything you need?" If the words had been spoken with an ounce of feeling Talia could have mistaken them as words of parental worry, but no, Laurel Anderson just wanted to make sure she wouldn't be inconvenienced with having to bring any missed items to New York.

"yeah, everything's packed" Ten-year-old Talia Anderson sat on the bottom step of the staircase, her mother impatiently waiting a few feet away.

It was exactly two months since her parent's divorce and subsequent custody battle and Laurel was already shipping her daughter off to some boarding school.

"you'll be spending the summer with your aunt in Nantucket once the year is out" Talia's mother absentmindedly explained, the woman clearly uninterested in who took care of her offspring.

She didn't even hug Talia before she left, simply holding the door open and waving lazily. She wasn't even down the steps before her mother had shut the door behind her.

Their driver showed more care and interest in the young girl, taking her to the plane when they arrived at the airstrip.

"you've got everything?" The tone that was missing from earlier spilled from Renee's lips and it warmed Talia's small body.

"I do" She answered, Renee cupping her face and pausing as if the woman was taking in the moment. If Talia had known she wouldn't see her until nearly seven years later she would have savoured it too.

"I found her wasted on the side of the road last night" Talia stirred at the noise, her liquor-induced sleep disappearing.

"so you brought her home?" Talia couldn't miss the laugh that coated JJ Maybank's words.

"Go wake her up," John B told the boy and Talia kept her eyes shut, pretending to still be asleep.

"Are you serious? She's not gonna bite" JJ got out.

"you sure about that? Cause I'm not" John B let out annoyed. "and we've got to go. I need to go see Miss Lana"

"wait, Scooter's wife?" JJ questioned. "why do we have to go see her?"

"I'll explain later okay, after that kook is out of my house"

It seemed as good a time as any for Talia to pretend to finally wake up, stretching her back a bit as she sat up. "can I help you?" She glared at John B when he said nothing but stared at her.