10, back to kook roots

❝did you ever hear about the girl who got frozen?time went on for everybody else, she won't know it❞

the girl who got frozen?
time went on for everybody else,
she won't know it❞

-right where you left me, taylor swift

chapter ten, BACK TO KOOK ROOTS

The backdoor of John Booker Routledge's Volkswagen van closed harshly behind Talia Anderson as she let it slide shut. The girl made the trip up the driveway, thankful her mother's car was still nowhere to be found.

    Sticky summer air coated the girl's exposed skin as she rounded the house to the backyard. She wasn't sure what she was doing but detoured only to grab her phone from the kitchen counter before returning to the patio.

    She slid the phone open to the text message still sitting there. Talia almost wondered at first if she had imagined it but there it sat, still in her inbox.

Matteo Holloway
you going to the fundraiser this weekend?

    Talia thought about not answering, it's not like she was friends with the boy, but something in her made her fingers gravitate to the keyboard. Answering before she could give it a second thought.

Talia Anderson
yeah, I'm sure my mother would have my head on a stick if I didn't

    She discarded the phone on the table next to her as she stretched out on one of the loungers, the sun beaming down on her bare skin. The warmth made the girl tired and she soon, without meaning to, fell softly to sleep.

    The waking up was rough, the front door slamming across the house. Talia shot up, whipping her head back to stare through the glass. The girl watched as her mother walked up the stairs from the landing, tossing her jacket on the coat rack and running a hand frustratedly through her hair.

    "Tal?" The nickname she used made Talia's chest fall with relief, the woman was in a good mood, at least in perspective to her daughter. The daughter who hadn't heard the nickname in the last month realizing things were okay again.

    "yeah, mom?" Talia stood, tucking her phone in her pocket and walking into the house. Absentmindedly rubbing her bruised wrist.

    "Please tell me you have something to wear to the fundraiser" The woman dumped her keys on the table and looked at her daughter with pleading eyes.

    "I should have something," Talia said, standing awkwardly on the other side of the kitchen counter, watching the woman run her hands through her hair again. Something had happened at work, Talia just couldn't tell what.

    "you know what, actually, here" Laurel paused, pulling her wallet out and grabbing a card. "go shopping, find something nice, please. And grab something for us to eat on the way back, I don't feel like cooking tonight" Talia nodded as she accepted the credit card.