05, rule break

❝i've been confused as of latewatching my youth slip awayyou're like the sun, you wake me upbut you drain me out if i get too much❞

watching my youth slip away
you're like the sun, you wake me up
but you drain me out if i get too much❞

-softcore, the neighbourhood

chapter five , RULE BREAK

 Talia's house was lit when she walked up the driveway, the candles producing enough light to shine out of the windows. She took a deep breath as she towards the house.

The door opened and Talia took a step back as her mother, fully adorned with her uniform unlocked her car. "Where the hell have you been?" Laurel stared at her daughter.

"Just out" She answered, scanning her mother's face.

"Just out, seriously? Were you at that party on the cut?" Talia refused to meet her mother's eyes. "After I've told you you're not to be on that side of the island? Talia, I thought I made it clear.

"Yeah yeah, you have, Your career and reputation come first" Talia shook her head and tried to move past her mother to the house.

"Do not speak to me that way" Laurel grabbed her daughter's wrist and Talia bit back the wince she almost let out. "Stay off the cut, do you hear me?" She squeezed harder at the silence that followed.

"Do you hear me?" Talia clenched her teeth but she nodded.

"Get inside the house, don't leave again" Her mother dropped her first and opened the door of her car. The woman didn't say another word as she pulled out of the driveway. Talia let her breath out, tipping her head back before finally entering the house.

The girl wanted nothing more than just to collapse into her bed. Into the safety and the comfort it provided. She cursed to herself for what happened that night as she stripped from the clothing she wore to the party.

Her sore and tired body craved her warm bed. The sheets stuck to her sweat slicked body and she climbed in, trying to push her never-ending thoughts away for just a few hours.

The quiet still of the house made it feel eery. Like she was examining each creak and sound it echoed, no fans or AC or TV show her mom left on to drown out the ever-lasting silence of Talia Anderson's mind.

Sleep did not fall over the girl easily. She tossed and turned for what seemed like the entirety of the night. The sky brightened before her eyes were even heavy.

The rocks in the driveway were the dead giveaway that her mother was home before the deputy sheriff opened the door. The woman hanging her jacket up and her heavy feet stomping around the house. Talia could hear the footsteps getting closer to her room and she shut her eyes.

The door creaked open slowly and Talia buried her head into her pillow more, holding her breath. She didn't want to deal with a lecture about where she was. The door shut and her mother's footsteps retreated to other parts of the house.