XXVI

"What is it?" Aemond asked, looking down at the knight as he slumped back his shoulders. He did not make eye contact, instead choosing to stare out at the window. Aemond was becoming impatient, not only did he interrupt another meeting but he was now staying silent. Did he not realise that they were in war, anything could've happened.

He thought of Maellery, her distressed face when he left, ignoring her grief as if it had burdened him. He wondered what she was thinking, if anything at all. If she still commanded lords and ladies as if they were hers to take. He also thought of her beside him, his queen as he ruled. He would never go against his brother but as Aegon became useless, Aemond thought more of stepping up.

King of the seven kingdoms. He wondered what he would do with it, if Maellery would allow him that pleasure. She must. Even if he had grown to like his lady, she was still his wife, his to command and control. She would have to be happy with every decision he made, for she had no power to argue against it.

And still, he felt a need for her validation. A foolish observation, he would most likely have the support of half the realm just from his looks alone, as well as his dragon. Who would need the confirmation from a girl? He cursed the gods for such thoughts, for sending Maellery to him. She infiltrated his every decision, each thought, feeling. He could not escape her frowned face even when his head had been laid to rest.

He saw her almost everywhere, which angered him. Why must he see her? In the bodies, the fire, in the clouds. He found himself waking when the moon rose, expecting to find her bounds of hair led across the bed. At finding nothing, he reluctantly slept by himself, allowing his blanket to cower her side more than his. Habit he suggested to himself, nothing like yearning.

"The Lady Maellery." He allowed his eyes to trail to the knight, his interest peaking at the mention of his wife. "Kings Landing has been infiltrated, Rhaenyra has supposedly killed her but one of the men sent a raven, they've seen her." He told him with a confused tone. Aemond stood, his mind raced with thoughts, becoming louder than his own voice.

Before his mind began to slow, he found himself asking the young knight to prepare Vhagar, he would not allow his wife to roam the realm as if she were no one of importance. He could not even think, he felt his anger rising slightly. Stupid, stupid, stupid girl.

He paced for a moment, holding his chin with his fingers before he looked toward the knight. He was no older than Mae, he bore no expression of anything. If she were here, he knew she would take care of him. Not that he deserved any of her affections, they should be reserved for him and him only.

Her kind nature only made him angrier, feeling as his hands began to curl beside him. He wanted to carve out any eyes blessed with the sight of her smile, hang their tongues above their beds to remind them. The knight spoke her name not like Aemond did, as if she were a nobody.

As he began to breath heavier, he reached for the knife beside him, watching as the knights face turned to one of fear. Aemond smile turned cruel, enjoying every second of his horror as he approached. He ignored every protest of Ser Cole.

It was in his duty to serve the gods, he knew that each of his sins would be forgiven. He did not mind if they were not, if eternal suffering was commanded then he would let it be. He would burn in the depths of hell if it meant his wife kissed his skin, perhaps they would feel the same.

With a knife against his throat, the knight begged quietly. A pathetic man Aemond thought, he deserved this. He bore nothing but a vile smile and a look of disgust in his eye. Ser Cole had made his way toward Aemond, eagerly pulling him away.

"You should stay your place Ser Cole" He spat, still holding the knife at arms length. One small movement and the ultimate payment would be made, he revelled in the thought.