I

The place was cold, and rotten. Maellery, since her engagement to Aemond Targaryen, had spent most of her time confined to her chambers out of choice not will. She had just turned 10 and 6 years, perfect age for bearing pure Targaryen's for the house. Maellery's children would never be her own, they were a puzzle piece their father could move around a giant chessboard, removing and replacing them whenever he needs. Her daughters became pieces of meat, offered up to the highest bidder before being shipped across the world to be locked away, producing nothing but heirs and spares. Her sons, thrown into battles and wars before spending the last of their years exploiting the young women they wish to. She knew the fate she held, the same fate her daughters would face, identical to the fate her mother had accepted, her mother before her also.

It was also full of whispers; her handmaidens had often discussed if she was mad. Perhaps, she often dreamt of the prince shouting through the halls of her madness and denying the betrothal. Thus far, he did not. He also did not see her, she had seen his face a handful of times, often disappearing around corridors or training out in the yard. He did not speak, she did not speak, and they ignored each other's presence until it had vanished. He knew why she was here; she knew why she was there, no reason to discuss it between them. They each had a duty to complete, and they would do it in seclusion.

The sound of scuffling slowed, and a mutter of words was quickly spread over the maids. Maellery stood, much to her disappointment and bowed slightly before returning to her seat by the window. She didn't understand why she was not happy, the gardens were beautiful, filled with flowers she didn't even know existed. She had all she ever wanted, a betrothal to the son of a king, a chamber the size of a castle and everything she had ever hoped of in a marriage. The people of kings landing would swap positions with her in an instance. She would visit them soon enough.

"Hello" she turned slightly, to get back to her daydreaming, Maellery hadn't took the time to see who was there. Her eyes became crinkled at the corners, and for the first time in about 12 hours she smiled. Princess Helaena was the second daughter of the King, first of the Queen Alicent and married to Aegon, the first son of the pair. Maellery had spoke regularly to Helaena who expressed her joy of another joining her house. Maellery often thought Helaena was the God's way of bringing hope to her lost cause. In the last weeks Maellery had been there, Helaena had come to visit her friend more times than any other, the two bound together by the love of embroidery and discussions of the marriage Helaena had entered with her brother. Their presence was enough of a comfort for the two, they never touched once in these meetings, Helaena had found it disgusting and Maellery didn't mind, happy that she chose to spend time with her instead.

"Good morning, Helaena, would you like some tea?" Often, she would find that majority would drink wine, whatever time in the days and so Maellery offered tea instead, it reminded her of home, but it also allowed people to understand that wine and drinking was not to be done in her chambers and instead meant to be done outside with the rest of the vulgar world.

As she often did, Helaena accepted and both took a seat at the table centred in the room, each maid scrambling for things to satisfy them with. "Then we shall have tea".

"Has Aemond come by the chambers yet?"

"No, not yet. I am happy to be left by myself, do not worry Helaena. How is Aegon?"

She shuffled slightly, her shoulders pushing back, and her eyes drooped. Everyone knew of Aegon and Helaenas marriage, how he was unfaithful and cruel to the girls of Kings landing including Helaena. The queen knew also, Maellery failed to recognise why a mother would allow her daughter to endure such a nightmarish act, why she didn't scoop up Helaena in the middle of the night and cast her off to some far away land filled with the bugs and flowers Helaena desired. Yet again, fate upon fate.