X

By moonrise, the pair had dispersed, each returning to the warmth of their fireplaces and the familiar scent of the other lingered in the air. When the sun gleamed, the pair had yet to reunite. Aemond trained in the yard and Maellery remained in bed, indulging in strawberries and reading with Tommen.

The keep was quiet, usual to most and yet Maellery had felt the atmosphere was smothered as if it had been strangled, small gasps of air released in moments, the pressure of the hand becoming destructive as the eyes began to close.

"Lady Maellery, your presence is requested in the great hall." The grip released.

The Lady made her way down to the hall, her breathing began to fall short, the events of yesterday fresh in her mind, the blood still flooding the hall and his mouth agape, desperately trying to get out his last words.

The thought of his last words had crossed her mind in the last day, she wondered what they would be if he knew he were to die, would they be one of honour? Begging? She had concluded that he would use his last breath to denounce Rhaenyra's sons, even if his granddaughters would marry them.

When she entered the hall, she was not hit with the scent of death or the sight of a man's life sprawled on the floor, but instead she was hit with a feeling of familiarity, comfort and longing. She had not realised that her chest had been tight until she locked eyes with her mother.

Aemond had never seen adoration to another as much as Maellery had for her mother, even he hadn't experienced the bond the two seemed to have. One look with her and Maellery had become a small child again, allowing her to engulf her in her arms. When they parted, Maellery's mother displayed a feeling of relief when she scanned over her daughter, Aemond had not laid a hand on her, he would share that with her later.

She cradled her daughters face, soaking in every piece of her smile. Maellery's father made his way over, taking Maellery's arms in his hands. Aemond watched as his hands wrapped around her wrists, kissing her forehead gently. He looked at her with a smile, she nodded so slightly you could mistake it. He dropped her arms and placed one on the back of Maellery's mother.

Aemond took in the sight of them, stood like a doting wife and husband while a whole world seemed to separate them. She was dressed in head to toe black; her headpiece covered a large portion of her back with sheer black fabric. He was dressed in gold robes with gold cuffs around his wrist. Maellery had returned to Aemond's side, slightly behind him.

"Aemond Targaryen." He filled the silence of the hall, bowing slightly out of respect to his betrothed. Maellery's dad gleamed with pride while her mother stayed stiff, eyeing the prince as he spoke. Maellery's father was the first to make a move, bowing to the prince.

"My prince! I am Kaegan Catell, and this is my wife, Mysa" He bellowed every word, his eagerness completing his tone. When the hall once again entered silence, Kaegan laughed and tapped his wife on the back. He then looked at Aemond and made a nodding toward his wife as if saying wives am I right? Aemond did not entertain this.

"It's my... pleasure." She half sneered at him, smiling slightly as she did. Aemond had never known the similarities between Maellery and her mother, the same frown lines and the same eyes when they were angry. It caused nervousness that the pair would be held together as the days pass.

Before Aemond could speak further, Mysa had stepped forward and linked arms with her beloved, guiding her out of the hall. Aemond watched as the Maellery he came to understand altered, her constricting dresses turning light and airy and the chains of their near marriage breaking, landing with a thud as the door shut.

"They have been together since the day she was born, I thought they might be stitched together. I am glad my two favourite people are so brought together." Kaegan spoke, filling the air and choking it with the lies that seemed to spill.