01.

MADELYN wasn't the only vigilante in Gotham, that was a known fact, the Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood and the Robins. The 'heroes' of Gotham. It was honestly quite sad, that's what Madelyn thought. 

They got all the fame while she hid in the shadows doing all their dirty work, helping the poor, feeding the homeless, helping clean up messes they make, she did it all, except tonight. She sat atop a building rooftop, legs dangling over the edge, she left with nothing but her own thoughts. In her alter ego's costume, that consisted of: A black jumpsuit, a black mask and an extendable baton.

As she sat in silence, an extendable baton in hand, she watched the cars drive past, listened to the sound of gunshots firing and people arguing. This was Madelyn's comfort, the absolute chaos of the night. It's where she thrived.

The sound of footsteps behind her began, she was quick to stand and press a button which allowed her baton to extend. "Ok, listen I've had a shitty day, ok so let's wrap this up." She spoke firmly, spinning her baton in her hand. Only to stop it abruptly.

The man before her wore a black and blue onesie. As if it were a superhero costume, then it clicked. He was. Nightwing. She groaned mentally.

"Hm, I can tell." He muttered, smirking at her. "Now, I'm not here to fight you or anything like that, I just saw you up here and wanted to see what was going on." He raised his hands up in defense. 

Madelyn was quick to dismiss him. "Well, then you can go." She wanted him gone, she couldn't deal with anyone else today. 

"No, I've been wanting to meet the infamous Karma." He spoke her name like a bad word. But the smirk he wore, like a gold chain around his neck. She hummed in agreement, letting her eyes roll. 

"Yeah, wow. Are you amazed yet?" She takes a dramatic, unneeded bow. In a sarcastic tone she had spoken, it caused Nightwing to scoff. 

She had heard through various connections that Nightwing was quite big, yet slim, he had muscles but was on the slimmer side, causing Madelyn to believe he had some profession in performance. It was such an odd body yet so right.

 Nightwing had taken a look at her up and down, brushing his hairless chin before nodding. "No, not in one bit." It was obvious he was a jokester. 

Madelyn rolled her eyes once more this night and shrugged. "Oh well." In defeat she was ready to leave but it was obvious by Nightwing's demeanor he was not. "So where'd you come from?" He questioned her, the question stunned her for a moment, she stopped moving and just stared at him dumbfounded.

"Are you fucking kidding me?" She shot him back a question. He just nodded 'yes.' Madelyn shook her head 'no.' To which he started nodding again. "No." She spoke with a laughing tone, though no part of her thought this was funny. 

"Ok well, I'm gonna figure you out, Miss Karma." He spoke again, the name he had called her sliding off his tongue smoothly. As though it were natural to him. "One way or another." He muttered, she ignored that last line.

"Ok, Blue Bird." Madelyn smirked coming up with her own nickname for him. Taking a step closer to him she whispered in a taunting tone. "I will find your whole family before you even find out my name, I promise you that." Nightwing paused for a moment before laughing. 

Madelyn scrunched up her face, confused visibly. "Good luck with that." He spoke smirking. Madelyn was taken aback, so she was quick to respond to this. "Are you doubting my skills now?" She cocked her head. 

Nightwing shook his head, "no, well, yeah. Yes I am." He chuckled once more. "But if you think you can find my family I'll make you a bet." He smirked. 

Madelyn wasn't one to back down a challenge so with her head held high she nodded. "In two weeks, you find my family, I'll give you 100,000 dollars, but-" The pause was antagonizing. "If I find out your name first you've got to give me 100,000 dollars." He finished crossing his arms across his chest. 

Now Madelyn wasn't about to turn down a challenge, no way in hell. But it was crazy to her she was about to make a silly bet with a stranger, with The Nightwing. Madelyn smirked back at him and held her hand out for him to shake. "Here, two weeks from today, at 11 pm." 

He looked down at her hand with a grin, taking her hand in his, they shook firmly. "See you around, Karma." He did it again. The tone, everything about the way he said her name was soul tearing. What does that mean? She doesn't even know.

Slowly their gloved hands released one another and he turned to leave, getting to the ledge he turned to face Madelyn one last time, saluting her before falling off the building backwards. Though no signs of distress left his body, she was still quick to run only for him to be nowhere in sight. 

"What the fuck just happened?" Madelyn mumbled to herself. Looking up at the stars confused as if they were to answer her questions, but just like herself they couldn't answer her.

Sighing she knew she would have to make her way home sooner or later. Deciding now would be the time she jumped across building tops towards her own building which was only a few blocks away, but sure that no one was following her, she dropped to an alleyway beside her building.

Climbing the fire escape to her apartment, she made her way into her home. It was nothing fancy, nothing overly neat yet not messy. It was comfortable and homey, like any ordinary family home. 

Her dog was laying on the end of her bed, awake yet comfortable. This was how she was greeted after patrol every night. Ridley, her Belgian Malinois, a guard dog, not for her though, for what she kept in her home. 

Groaning she wandered to the front door looking through the peephole, seeing no one on the other side she deemed it safe to go to bed. Taking a shower, then getting into bed. That's how it felt some nights. Just exhausting.

"Goodnight, Ridley." Madelyn muttered giving her dog a pat on the head before drifting into a well needed sleep.