chapter 4 : shadows of doubt

the morning sun cast a golden glow over the courtyard where the group gathered, their chatter blending with the gentle rustle of leaves in the breeze. yujin's announcement about basketball practice drew everyone's attention.

"i might not be able to hang out during recess since i have basketball," yujin mentioned casually.

"can we watch?" aejung's sudden question caught the group off guard. boreum looked over at aejung with a subtle smirk, impressed by her boldness.

"yeah, can we?" beomseok chimed in, his curiosity matching aejung's.

yujin's smile widened at their enthusiasm. "sure, why not? you can grab a snack and watch from the bleachers," he said, a hint of amusement in his voice.

"awesome, count us in!" boreum declared, nodding eagerly.

as the bell chimed, signaling the start of classes, the group made their way towards their first lesson of the day: english class.

after the first two periods breezed by, the morning sun had shifted, now casting long shadows across the basketball court where the group gathered. the rhythmic thud of basketballs echoed in the air, mingling with the excited chatter of the players.

"when's your next game?" aejung's voice cut through the buzz as she turned to yujin.

"this friday i think," yujin replied with a nonchalant shrug.

"do we need to buy tickets or anything?" boreum piped up, her curiosity piqued.

"i think we can just show up, right yujin?" beomseok added, seeking confirmation.

yujin nodded in response before darting off to the nearby change rooms. as he disappeared from view, the three friends settled onto the weathered bleachers, the wood creaking softly beneath their weight.

aejung retrieved her lunchbox, its contents a colorful array against the backdrop of the court. she unwrapped a chocolate bar, the crinkle of the foil punctuating the otherwise quiet scene.

soon, yujin emerged from the change rooms, clad in his basketball uniform. his presence injected a burst of energy into the air as he bounded onto the court, ready to train.

he dribbled the ball with practiced ease, each movement precise and fluid, a testament to his skill. the rhythmic thud of the ball hitting the pavement filled the air, creating a backdrop for the unfolding scene.

aejung's gaze drifted toward a figure approaching yujin, a girl whose name sparked recognition among the group.

"is that boyoung?" boreum's question hung in the air, met with a confirming nod from beomseok.

aejung remained silent, her eyes trained on yujin and the newcomer as they engaged in conversation. there was a subtle tension in the air, palpable even from a distance.

yujin and boyoung exchanged words, their voices carrying over the court, before they seemed to transition into a one-on-one game.

"she's horrible," aejung muttered under her breath, her tone tinged with annoyance. boreum stifled a chuckle, keenly aware of her friend's growing unease.

"how is she that bad at getting the ball back?" beomseok added with a giggle.

"i know right," aejung concurred, her expression unusually solemn as she observed the scene unfolding before them.

the trio remained fixated on yujin and boyoung, their interactions becoming increasingly conspicuous. it was evident to aejung, boreum, and beomseok that boyoung was deliberately letting yujin win.

"you're too good!" boyoung's exclamation rang out across the court, her grin stretching from ear to ear. aejung's gaze remained fixed, her features set in a mask of seriousness, while boreum noted the intensity in her friend's eyes.

as the game progressed, playful touches between yujin and boyoung grew more frequent, some lingering longer than others. aejung's jaw clenched slightly, her unease growing palpable.

suddenly, yujin broke away from boyoung's side and bounded up the bleachers toward the trio, boyoung following closely behind.

"do any of you have water?" yujin's request, delivered with his hair slicked back from exertion, broke the tension hanging in the air.

aejung swiftly retrieved her water bottle from her bag, extending it towards yujin. "here," she offered quietly, her voice tinged with a hint of tension.

yujin accepted the bottle, taking deep, satisfying swallows as aejung's gaze shifted to boyoung. her features contorted slightly, a subtle furrow creasing her brow, and her jaw clenched involuntarily.

"that's sweet," boyoung remarked, her tone dripping with sarcasm, aejung's tension mounting in response.

after finishing the water, yujin returned the bottle to aejung with a grateful smile. "thanks," he murmured warmly, meeting her gaze with sincerity.

"no worries," aejung replied, her smile masking the turmoil beneath the surface.

boyoung interjected, breaking the charged moment. "let's go back to training since they can't!" she chirped, seizing yujin's arm and leading him back to the court.

as the trio watched them depart, their expressions twisted in disdain, aejung's heart sank with a mixture of frustration and resentment.

"that was so rude," aejung muttered, her eyes rolling in exasperation.

"the second part of the last comment was not needed," beomseok chimed in, his tone tinged with frustration.

"she was also being so obviously sarcastic when she called you sweet," boreum remarked, her words directed at aejung, who nodded in agreement.

they all scoffed in annoyance, sharing a collective sense of indignation.

"let's get out of here before she comes back," aejung suggested, her eyes rolling once more as they all rose from the bleachers and made their way off the basketball courts together.